Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics


1/2" or 1/4" MOA?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: SW Montana
Posts: 4,474
Re: 1/2" or 1/4" MOA?

I've used a HS LR over the last year and I've been very happy with it, I have not found the 1/2 MOA to be an issue. I've shot out over a mile with it and been quite pleased, it's nice to hit 1100 yards in one turn!!!!
High Fence, Low Fence, Stuck in the Fence, if I can Tag it and Eat it, it's Hunting!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:14 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 27
Re: 1/2" or 1/4" MOA?

Here's the bottom line at 100 yards 1 moa is one inch at 400 yards 1 moa is 4 inches ect ect so at 800 yards 1 moa is 8 inches and on a 1/2 click moa 1 click would be 4 inches ... So unless ur shooting small targets, which I assume ur not with it being a 300 win mag sounds like an elk or big game gun 4 inches is nothing on a vital zone that big at 1000 yards 1/2 a click is 5 inches ur still good. Unless ur shooting target 1/2 moa will be quicker and easer to calculate take ur distance ect 900 yards = 9 moas half that is 4.5 so 1 click is 4.5 inches. Good luck!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,293
Re: 1/2" or 1/4" MOA?

I have used .5 MOA adjustments with good success on big game. In practice, the most you will ever be off your dope will be .25MOA, or under 3" at 1000 yards and this can be easily adjusted for if you wanted that level of precision. This amount is about the thickness of many crosshairs at that range. In recent years I have prefered finer adjustments largely because I have been able to achieve far greater accuracy with a couple of my rifles shooting .25 MOA or better. Whether or not it makes a practical difference in most my hunting, setting very precise zeros, and having bench rest level capabilities in my hunting rifle is not only a good confidence builder, but also more closely aligns the scope's capabilities with the capabilities of the rifle. In the end it contributes to my goal of continually tryng to increase my effective range. If .5 MOA concerns the OP I would suggest looking into another scope. There are too many good scopes out there to toil over the issue.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 22
Re: 1/2" or 1/4" MOA?

I agree confidence is everything and it probably would be just fine with .5 it all worked out though because the scope i really wanted is the vortex 6x24 LR with the XLR retical. I called vortex yesterday and asked if i could get it in. 25 and they said i can send it in and for $75 they will put the 1/4 turret on it. Thank you everyone for your info!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:49 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4
Re: 1/2" or 1/4" MOA?

1/4 more precise calculations and a lot easier to understand
1000 yards is nothing
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:09 PM
Silver Member
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 144
Re: 1/2" or 1/4" MOA?

you could split the difference and get mil/mil scope with .1 mil clicks.

.1 mil = appx .36" at 100

Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:15 PM
Gold Member
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Boise IDAHO
Posts: 838
Re: 1/2" or 1/4" MOA?

Of course we can always revert to the old method of hold off to compensate for a little courser adjustment. I have bean thinking of trying one myself and figure it would be fine 90% of the time and manageable the other 10%..........I have a ramanian IOR scope retrofit for Russian dials that equate to two moa and with a little help from the reticule I can score inside a 12" out to 1200 meters witch is the limit of the rifles accuracy anyway. I do not see the 1/2 moa adjustments as beneficial because I never had a problem turning the dial all the way around but it is not a big deal either once you get use to it. If I can get use to 2moa, I know 1/2 moa can't be that bad to adjust to.
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Current Poll
Do you archery hunt for elk?
YES - 34.58%
120 Votes
NO - 48.41%
168 Votes
Not yet, but I plan to. - 17.00%
59 Votes
Total Votes: 347
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC