Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

zero at 200 but not shooting the same at longer distances.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-30-2011, 11:38 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 473
zero at 200 but not shooting the same at longer distances.

I have a stupid question to ask, I have only got to shoot my 280AI a few times, but have come up with a great load out to 200 yards, tried 400 & 600 yards today. The scope that is on my rifle is a sightron S3 6-24X50 with mil-dot reticle. I am shooting 162gr A-Max bullets, the last time out I shot 4 shots at 200 yards and a quarter would have covered all 4 shots. So when shooting the extended distances should a person re-adjust their scope or take a mental note and where your hitting, say at 400 yards the first dot down from the cross hair its shooting low and to the left, make a mental note of that or adjust for it????
I will also tell you I am not impressed with the sightron scope for longer distances, but can't afford anything else. Thank you for any advice.
__________________
KC7PWO
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-31-2011, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 4,585
Re: zero at 200 but not shooting the same at longer distances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird63 View Post
I have a stupid question to ask, I have only got to shoot my 280AI a few times, but have come up with a great load out to 200 yards, tried 400 & 600 yards today. The scope that is on my rifle is a sightron S3 6-24X50 with mil-dot reticle. I am shooting 162gr A-Max bullets, the last time out I shot 4 shots at 200 yards and a quarter would have covered all 4 shots. So when shooting the extended distances should a person re-adjust their scope or take a mental note and where your hitting, say at 400 yards the first dot down from the cross hair its shooting low and to the left, make a mental note of that or adjust for it????
I will also tell you I am not impressed with the sightron scope for longer distances, but can't afford anything else. Thank you for any advice.
Chuck your bullet is falling to the ground at the speed of gravity fom the moment it leaves the muzzle.

If you are zeroed at 200 that zero is good only for 200yds.

I plugged this into Hornady's ballistic calculator to give you and example.

200yds zero, Amax 162, 3000fps.

100yds=+1.4"

200yds=0

300yds=-6.1

400yds=-17.6

500yds=-34.9

1000yds=-240.4"

To compensate for the drops you either hold over the target they appropriate amount, or you adjust the elevation on your scope to match. If your scope adjustment is a true 1/4 MOA per click, then you come up 4 clicks per MOA of adjustment needed. Again using the same calculations.

Come up

100yds=-1.3(hold low about 1.3")

200yds=+/-0 (hold dead on)

300yds= up +2.0 MOA or 8 clicks

400yds= up +4.2MOA or 18 clicks

and on and on out to 1000yds where your come up is 23.0 MOA or 92 clicks.

Now if your elevation turrett is a target or tactical turrett that shows MOA it's really simple.

If you don't have those types of turrets then the best advice is to practice noting how many dots you elevate on your mil dot reticle for each hundred yard increment.
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.

Last edited by WildRose; 10-31-2011 at 12:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-31-2011, 12:44 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 473
Re: zero at 200 but not shooting the same at longer distances.

Thank you wildrose, my scope has the stock factory turrets and right off hand I can''t remember if its 1/8 or 1/4 moa per click.
I am still not sure if it was the right choice to switch from 140gr accubonds to the 162gr A-Max, one thing I know is those A-Max bullets sure do fly, but then with that high of BC what do you expect. Please feel free to share any other info you have. Thanks again. Chuck
__________________
KC7PWO
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-31-2011, 01:03 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 4,585
Re: zero at 200 but not shooting the same at longer distances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird63 View Post
Thank you wildrose, my scope has the stock factory turrets and right off hand I can''t remember if its 1/8 or 1/4 moa per click.
I am still not sure if it was the right choice to switch from 140gr accubonds to the 162gr A-Max, one thing I know is those A-Max bullets sure do fly, but then with that high of BC what do you expect. Please feel free to share any other info you have. Thanks again. Chuck
Both are excellent bullets but the AMax is strictly a target/varmint bullet where the accubond is a teriffic hunting bullet.

If you intend on hunting anything other than predators/varmints and like the hornady bullets look at the interlock and interbonds as they will perform much better on game.

Just remember all bullets travel in an arc rather than a stright line like a laser.

For their price point the SIII's are very good scopes. I had an original sightron from their first year of manufacture that never once failed me and always held zero. It was on it's fifth rifle when I sold the rifle and scope to my best buddy and he swears it's the best scope he's ever owned.
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-31-2011, 01:10 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 473
Re: zero at 200 but not shooting the same at longer distances.

I plan on hunting mule deer and possibly elk and antelope. What about the 162gr SST hornady bullet. A friend uses those in his 300RUM, 30 cal bullets of course. I have hear different stories about the A-Maxes for big game. Was hoping to try some 168gr bergers, but I can't see going out and buying a whole box and then finding out my gun does not like them. Plus I can't afford a box of them right now.
A guy on another forum was suppose to send me 10 berger 168gr bullets to try but they never made it here.. Always appreciate any advice. Thank you again. Chuck
__________________
KC7PWO
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-31-2011, 01:17 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 4,585
Re: zero at 200 but not shooting the same at longer distances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird63 View Post
I plan on hunting mule deer and possibly elk and antelope. What about the 162gr SST hornady bullet. A friend uses those in his 300RUM, 30 cal bullets of course. I have hear different stories about the A-Maxes for big game. Was hoping to try some 168gr bergers, but I can't see going out and buying a whole box and then finding out my gun does not like them. Plus I can't afford a box of them right now.
A guy on another forum was suppose to send me 10 berger 168gr bullets to try but they never made it here.. Always appreciate any advice. Thank you again. Chuck
The interlock and interbond are both great bullets with very high BC's. Hornady states plainly on their site that the Amax is not intended as a hunting bullet.

For the best of both worlds it's very hard to beat the interbond, Swift Scirocco (my personal favorite) and the Accubond.

As for the Berger there's guys who swear they are the best thing since sliced bread, but in reality they are just a hollow point BT with a very good BC and thus not something I'm going to use on game. Varmints/predators? Sure, but not game animals. I like at least 85% weight retention and a complete pass through no matter whether it's a perfect shot through the ribs or through both shoulders and I don't want to be able to stick my fist into the exit hole. I see no point in wasting that much meat.
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-31-2011, 04:15 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Qld Australia
Posts: 113
Re: zero at 200 but not shooting the same at longer distances.

I also have a new Sightron SSIII 6-24x50 moa scope. I am very impressed with it and prefer it over my zeiss conquest and Leupold mk4 8.5- 25. On days with little mirage I can see 20 cal bullet holes at 500m (546yds). Don't loose faith in that scope just yet.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: zero at 200 but not shooting the same at longer distances.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How many distances do you verify ? kustomkoatings Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 2 11-02-2010 04:21 PM
Glassing Distances Help?? FullCurlHunter Long Range Hunting & Shooting 3 06-16-2010 08:49 PM
Coyote shooting distances? Len Backus General Discussion 3 08-05-2008 09:02 AM
new to longer range shooting jrock86 The Basics, Starting Out 13 07-14-2008 07:23 PM
Shot groups and distances Newbie The Basics, Starting Out 2 08-10-2004 02:57 PM

Current Poll
Do You Shoot Rifle Competition?
YES - 33.42%
769 Votes
NO - 66.58%
1,532 Vote
Total Votes: 2,301
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC