Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Zeiss vs. Nightforce

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Silver Member

Zeiss vs. Nightforce

Does anyone really think that the quality of a Nightforce warrants double the price of a Zeiss. Im not shooting over 600 yds. All input appreciated.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Gold Member

Re: Zeiss vs. Nightforce

Absolutely
I have found that when it comes to optics you pretty much get what you pay for. Now is the Shmidt&Bender and USO worth 75% more than the Nightforce? I do not know because I can not afford to find out. But those I know that have them say yes.
With optics you need to find your own comfort level. I know guys who can shoot an 6" group at 600 yds with iron sights. But that doesn't mean that I can.
I have a closet full of cheap binoculars because I was trying to "save money", if I had bought a set of Swarovski's in the first place I would have been WAY ahead.
I still have several Leupold VXIII's that I am pleased with. But for the most part I have moved up to Nightforce NXS for LR hunting rifles, and NF Benchrest models for F-Class and target work.
I have a Swaro range finder and would VERY much like to find something better, but the next significant step up is about $4k, Not ready to go there yet.
Good luck with your decision.

Dave
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)
Old 01-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Silver Member

Well I have a friend who just picked up a new Nightforce $1700.00. I am anxious to compare it to my zeiss
Old 01-08-2011, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member

For shooting 600, no and you only need 10x, if you feel better just use a little more magnification
Old 01-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Gold Member

Zeiss scopes have good glass & coatings along with repeatable mechanisms. They are quality scopes. Nightforce scopes are much heavier & are quality by any measure. If I was building a mountain rifle, or any rifle I would cary on long hunts, I would rate a Zeiss ahead of a Nightforce since it meets the requirements of THAT hunt better than the NightForce, but if I was building a heavy magnum for 1,000+ yard work Nightforce would be much better than the Zeiss. They are both quality, but they are different scopes optimized for different situations. I would likely lean towards Zeiss for any light/cary rifle & NightForce for a heavy rifle (if price didn't matter) even limiting yourself to 600 yards.

If this is a big-game rifle you'll never shoot over 600 yards, I would likely choose the Zeiss with the Rapid-Z 800 reticle even if the NightForce was the same price, and even if it's a heavy rifle.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Silver Member

Interesting reply, I have the Zeiss on a Savage 10fp 308 sniper just had a very good brake installed and anxious to see how it performs at 600 yards. Then I will work on a custom 6.5x47 lapua or a 338 lapua.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Platinum Member

I'm with Buano on this one....

I have a Zeiss on an extreme long range rig as that was all I thought I could afford at the time. It serves me very very well.

I also have an NXS on an even more extreme long range rig. It is better than the Zeiss in that weight is not a problem with this rig and I like the NPR-1 reticle better than the duplex. Oh, and since I learned that the reticle illuminates its a great plus.