close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Reply

Zeiss Rapid Z 800

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 09-26-2011, 09:56 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 34
Zeiss Rapid Z 800

Has anyone used this out to 800 yards? If so how accurate does it really work?
Anthony
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 09-26-2011, 10:04 PM
    Official LRH Sponsor
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Location: N. Texas and S. Africa
    Posts: 7,317
    Re: Zeiss Rapid Z 800

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 284 Win. View Post
    Has anyone used this out to 800 yards? If so how accurate does it really work?
    Anthony
    If you follow the instructions and set it up properly it'll put you within the kill zone on deer and larger sized game pretty handily.

    It really does help however if you will go out and then shoot it at known ranges so you can fine tune by holding over/under as needed.
    __________________
    Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 09-26-2011, 10:10 PM
    Bronze Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Posts: 34
    Re: Zeiss Rapid Z 800

    I went on Zeiss's web site and looking at the 3.5-10x44 with the 800 z.
    The yards and bars are close but it said best at 8 power. I was wondering if i could see the recticle late afternoon right before dark at the 8 power shooting at something 600 yards away.
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 09-26-2011, 10:16 PM
    Official LRH Sponsor
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Location: N. Texas and S. Africa
    Posts: 7,317
    Re: Zeiss Rapid Z 800

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 284 Win. View Post
    I went on Zeiss's web site and looking at the 3.5-10x44 with the 800 z.
    The yards and bars are close but it said best at 8 power. I was wondering if i could see the recticle late afternoon right before dark at the 8 power shooting at something 600 yards away.
    Shouldn't be a problem.

    I do a lot of low light shooting with my conquests with the 44mm obj and they gather plenty of light. I can usually see the game and pick up my reticles long after I can no longer see them with the naked eye.

    The conquest 44mm obj light wise is the equal of the 50mm leupolds on a 1" tube.
    __________________
    Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 09-27-2011, 11:38 AM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Location: Afognak Island, Alaska
    Posts: 596
    Re: Zeiss Rapid Z 800

    I have a Z-800 on my .257 Weatherby. It shoots too fast for the lines to match up. Even at 14 power my trajectory doesn't match up to the yardages in the reticle. I had to go out and verify my drops according to the bars. Now I carry a range card that fits my trajectory. Here's what I came up with.

    Bar 3- 333 yards
    Bar 4- 462 Yards
    Bar 5- 585 yards
    Bar 6- 707 yards
    Bar 7- 828 yards
    Bar 8- 946 yards

    The Z-800 has great glass which makes it a great low-light scope. I only have one problem with the Zeiss Conquest, the crosshairs are a bit thick for longer ranges.
    __________________
    Long Range Sickle
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 09-27-2011, 01:35 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2008
    Location: Central Pennsylvania
    Posts: 4,155
    Re: Zeiss Rapid Z 800

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LRSickle View Post
    I have a Z-800 on my .257 Weatherby. It shoots too fast for the lines to match up. Even at 14 power my trajectory doesn't match up to the yardages in the reticle. I had to go out and verify my drops according to the bars. Now I carry a range card that fits my trajectory. Here's what I came up with.

    Bar 3- 333 yards
    Bar 4- 462 Yards
    Bar 5- 585 yards
    Bar 6- 707 yards
    Bar 7- 828 yards
    Bar 8- 946 yards

    The Z-800 has great glass which makes it a great low-light scope. I only have one problem with the Zeiss Conquest, the crosshairs are a bit thick for longer ranges.
    There is a lot of distance between those bars. Do you just bracket your query between the bars and let it fly if its between those yardages? I'm a turret twiddler. Not too experienced on using reticules.

    Tank
    __________________
    Matthew 7:13-14
    "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

    If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

    Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

    arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 09-27-2011, 01:53 PM
    Official LRH Sponsor
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Location: N. Texas and S. Africa
    Posts: 7,317
    Re: Zeiss Rapid Z 800

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by liltank View Post
    There is a lot of distance between those bars. Do you just bracket your query between the bars and let it fly if its between those yardages? I'm a turret twiddler. Not too experienced on using reticules.

    Tank
    You adjust your hold over with each of the cross bars baed on known performance and known range.

    If your range is 1/3 less than the space occupied by two bars you hold appropriately with the last range bar above it.

    It is much faster than spinning turrets, but less precise.
    __________________
    Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: Zeiss Rapid Z 800
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    WTB: Zeiss 4.5-14x50 Rapid Z-800 Buano Optics For Sale 16 11-07-2011 09:02 PM
    ***SPF*** Zeiss 4.5-14x50 Rapid Z 1000 - Zeiss 6.5-20x50 Rapid Z Varmint nortac Optics For Sale 12 10-29-2011 08:33 AM
    WTS: Zeiss 4.5-14x50 Rapid Z-800 remcraz Optics For Sale 9 04-11-2011 12:58 AM
    Zeiss Rapid Z Reticles MT4XFore Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 10 03-01-2010 02:33 PM
    Zeiss Rapid Z Reticle moochy28 Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 2 07-25-2007 01:21 PM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC