Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Your Longest Kill on Game

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 04:02 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Your Longest Kill on Game

I love hearing these!

Mine was a Whitetail Doe in Pennsylvania, 2009 Laser Ranged at 1100yds with Leica Geovid. First shot kill with my 6.5x284 and the 140 Berger. My dad ranged and spotted the shot for me. Took a 10 minute drive then a 400 yard climb up the mountain to retrieve her.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

My furthest is a little bitty elk calf at a lasered 589 yards. I first spotted it from 700 yards but had only shot my rifle out to 600 yards so I worked in closer. I dialed up the turret on my Leupold 3.5-10 and put a 200 gr Accubond from my 300 RUM right through both shoulder bones. Instant lights out. There was definite ground shrinkage as I thought it was an adult cow when I shot. It did eat good, though!

NRA Life Member
Old 09-29-2010, 04:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by younggun View Post
What is the longest shot you have successfully made on any type of game?
with a bow or gun?

bow: 72 yards whitetail in Missouri. with a firearm...you don't wanna know.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:21 PM
Bronze Member

I have been getting into long range hunting and shhoot for three years now.My furthest shot to date is 526 yrds on a westTexas mule deer.

funny thing is that the rifle I had built to use for this hunt had a technical issue, ok it was dropped from a tripod. so the back up rifle was a winchester m 70 in 7mm wsm with a leupold vx13x9.

I had been trailing this group of mules all day but couldn't getsetup for a shot. finally I had pushed the stock to an area with allot of elevation changes, my plan was to slide my way up the backsideof the hill and get to a out crop of rocks the plan was for the mulie to be at the bottom of the ravine about 300 yrds away. I wish the deer had made the planning meeting. I slid my way up to the area I wanted to be but the deer were not where they were supposed tobe. I had about 1hour of hunting daylight left at this point , so I decided to hold my vantage point. After a bit I noticed movement on the hill across form me, I lock my binos on the movment, does all of them where does. At about ten minuets left in the day I spotted the buck I had been after a fair10 point. Hes was broad side the wind was the kicker it was whippping from 10 to 30 mph between the two peak. I had shot this riflea good bit a 500 meters so Iknew where to hold for elevation I had no clue for that much windage so with my best swag i let the shot go. te bullet struck between the last 2 ribs, the deer madeit about 30 yrds before it piled up.
I have been hooked ever since.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:52 PM
Silver Member

Not real far but consider the equipment. Many woodchucks at an estimated 300 yards by the amount of hold-over with a Winchester Model 88 in .308 with factory barrel/trigger and full bedded barrel channel topped with a Leupold 3.5-10X scope. Fired from a bipod with a load consisting of a bunch of 3031 behind a Speer 130 HP. It would cut the chucks in half if you hit them in the middle and shot 3/4 MOA all day! I would shoot further but they don't want to come out way out there, I guess I could back up! I retired that gun, gave it to my son, and have since moved on to "true" varmint rigs but still can't find anything willing to have me shoot at it further, just paper.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:30 PM
Bronze Member

[QUOTE=bow: 72 yards whitetail in Missouri .[/QUOTE]

Very nice gotta love the archers in the group

[QUOTE=with a firearm...you don't wanna know.[/QUOTE]

on the contrary i do wanna know haha. by saying "you dont wanna know" you peak my intrest
Old 09-30-2010, 02:10 AM
Gold Member

this was mine.

YouTube - 943yd "Mountain" Goat. Long Range Shooting