Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Your Longest Kill on Game

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 11:14 AM

Re: Your Longest Kill on Game

MY best soo far has been a woodchuck/groundhog at 403 yards. I was actually looking further back in the feild at some turkeys and a couple coons running around. I saw them at the back of the feild but couldn't tell for sure what they were so I stopped and pulled out my 22-250.
The feild rolled a little bit so I had to walk the fence line to get up on a high spot so I could see to the end of the feild. I watched the turkeys for a little bit...then right in my sight line this little buggar popped his head up and then back down on the beans.
I knew the back of the feild was just over 600 and was trying to gauge, but had to wait until he popped up again. Dialed my scope and just waited....sure enough he had to take one more look. I put it right through his throat. He fell forward just like a cartoon! I walked back to the truck and got my range finder. I stood at my gun and shot back to a huge oak tree and got my distance. Then walked out to find him and shot back to the tree again. I could hardly believe it. It turns out to be a pretty good spot. I sit on one side of the treeline and my brother in law sits on the other. Last season out there we had a pretty good pile. And the yotes seem to enjoy our being there too!
Old 03-10-2012, 12:26 PM
Bronze Member

This past November...762 yards with a 7.82 Warbird and 210 grain Berger VLD's.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Your Longest Kill on Game-photo-2-.jpg  
Old 03-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Bronze Member

wow!!
nice shooting. been thinking of getting a 6.5 someday, but have done enough long distance to know that it is primarily the shooter. thanks for the story.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:15 PM
Silver Member

First off great shooting using the old kentucky windage method, and for a 15 year old to boot! my longest shot was on a coyote just a couple of months back, at 921. but there is a story behind it. I went out one after noon cause i was bored at the house, I have this spot that i sit on top of a hill and kinda snipe the coyotes down in the valley and across the way on the ridge to my front. I know sooner got my gear set up and started glassing when I spotted 2 dogs on the ridge to my front, a quick shot with the range finder and I dialed up 660 waited for her to stop and pow one dog down, Not 5 minutes later a coyote came out of the brush and took a seat on the frozen pond in the bottom, 366 yds and pow 2 down. then came a couple of hours of nothing so me being me I ranged a rock bluff at 920 and picked out a rock held 2 moa to the right and whack I smoked the rock I was shooting at. not an hour later a coyote came over the top and took a seat on the very rock bluff that I had just shot, well I didnt even bother to range it, just dialed it up held 2 moa and pow 3 dogs down. I always see a dog or 2 when I go to this spot but this was the first time I was able to wack 3 in one sitting. Jay
Old 03-24-2012, 03:14 PM

1250 yards 338 Baer. 1 shot
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Your Longest Kill on Game-1250-yards.jpg  
Old 03-24-2012, 04:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjm1000 View Post
1250 yards 338 Baer. 1 shot
That's an interesting looking rack on that one!! Oh and nice shooting too!! Was that taken here in PA?
Old 03-24-2012, 08:55 PM

Yes on State Game Lands.