close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Reply

Your Longest Kill on Game

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #64  
Unread 07-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Official LRH Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: N. Texas and S. Africa
Posts: 7,317
Re: Your Longest Kill on Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff 300 View Post
well when i started long range shooting about 16 years ago. i shot every thing with a savage 110 police 223. After about 3000 rounds i knew this rifle well out to 600. I had some hunters up at a ranch i guide hunts on that had been hunting with me for 5 years. kind of like friend after that long. we where setting around the camp cooking and BSing when i pulled out the spot light to look over a field that i feed for axis. there was three eat by the hillside @ 380 yards. There was this one guy in the group that all ways give me hell about shooting long range that jumped up and said he would bet me a 100.00 to 1.00 that i could not kill this doe. what he didn't know is that was one spot that i shot at all the time and shooting at night was something i did a lot of for hog, yotes, coons, and axis. so i got my 223 out looked at her for a little while and told him all i can see is her eyes I'm not going to shot. knowing he would pop off something and the way he like to talk about his money i kind of knew he would say what he said witch was. OK candy ***** 500.00 to 1.00 then cause you can't-------------BANG!!!!!!!!---------do it.

Well i went and bought me a new scope with that 500.00. RIGHT BEHIND HER EYE!!!!!!!!

I just didn't know that was the start of all this and 500.00 has ended up costing me thousands in new rifles, scope,range finders and all the other crap we have to have to do this kind of shooting.

But my longest kill is a hog and a javelina both at a 1000 yards

YouTube - ‪1000yrd hog.mpg‬‏

YouTube - ‪1000 yrd javelina‬‏
Any kill at those ranges is impressive. Few however understand that the Javelina is only about a 40lbs target roughly the size of the average Brittany Spaniel, or slightly larger than a Montana/Idaho Hare.

That sir is impressive shooting.

Looking at the vids, I'm guessing it was a neck shot just in front of the shoulder on the Javalina, and just about the rear edge of the shoulder blade just at or below spine level on the Hog... ?
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  •   #65  
    Unread 07-01-2011, 07:19 PM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Mar 2005
    Location: corpus christi,tx
    Posts: 877
    Re: Your Longest Kill on Game

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    Any kill at those ranges is impressive. Few however understand that the Javelina is only about a 40lbs target roughly the size of the average Brittany Spaniel, or slightly larger than a Montana/Idaho Hare.

    That sir is impressive shooting.

    Looking at the vids, I'm guessing it was a neck shot just in front of the shoulder on the Javalina, and just about the rear edge of the shoulder blade just at or below spine level on the Hog... ?
    Thanks a lot You got it about right on both of them right behind the head on the jav witch was a young one about 30-35# and right below the spine on the hog and it was about 45-50#tops as well. My orange target to the left is 12"x14" with all the hog on the ranch i have alot of target.
    Thanks again

    Last edited by jeff 300; 07-01-2011 at 07:32 PM.
    Reply With Quote

      #66  
    Unread 07-01-2011, 07:41 PM
    Official LRH Sponsor
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Location: N. Texas and S. Africa
    Posts: 7,317
    Re: Your Longest Kill on Game

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeff 300 View Post
    Thanks a lot You got it about right on both of them right behind the head on the jav witch was a young one about 30-35# and right below the spine on the hog and it was about 45-50#tops as well. My orange target to the left is 12"x14" with all the hog on the ranch i have alot of target.
    Thanks again
    One of these days I'll dig out my Javelina pictures for you.

    He weighed 192lbs and has 2.5" top tusks, 1 3/4" bottoms.

    But it wasn't nearly as impressive as the shot you made. Mine was only about 750 with a 22mph cross wind.

    Don't ask me exactly where he came from though... Ok? HA!
    __________________
    Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
    Reply With Quote
      #67  
    Unread 07-01-2011, 09:42 PM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Mar 2005
    Location: corpus christi,tx
    Posts: 877
    Re: Your Longest Kill on Game

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    One of these days I'll dig out my Javelina pictures for you.

    He weighed 192lbs and has 2.5" top tusks, 1 3/4" bottoms.

    But it wasn't nearly as impressive as the shot you made. Mine was only about 750 with a 22mph cross wind.

    Don't ask me exactly where he came from though... Ok? HA!
    a 22 mph cross wind i wouldn't been able to hit a barn. the wind tears me a new one and it windy down here in corpus christi 85% of the time.
    Reply With Quote
      #68  
    Unread 07-01-2011, 10:43 PM
    Official LRH Sponsor
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Location: N. Texas and S. Africa
    Posts: 7,317
    Re: Your Longest Kill on Game

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeff 300 View Post
    a 22 mph cross wind i wouldn't been able to hit a barn. the wind tears me a new one and it windy down here in corpus christi 85% of the time.
    I grew up in the Panhandle, Parmer county shooting prairie dogs open sights with a 22lr, and later with an open sight 7mm Rem; and before calculators!

    22mph is a mild breeze.
    __________________
    Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
    Reply With Quote
      #69  
    Unread 03-09-2012, 12:42 AM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Mar 2008
    Location: Huddleston,Va.
    Posts: 10
    Re: Your Longest Kill on Game

    not much long shots around here , Mine was 410 yds. on a crow walking towards me in a nice green hay field using a Rem. 700 bdl varmit special in .243 win.with a Speer 75 gr. HP and 38 grs. of IMR 4895 .
    It looked like I shot a black pillow , little black feathers floated down for minutes .


    Dave
    Reply With Quote
      #70  
    Unread 03-09-2012, 12:47 AM
    Official LRH Sponsor
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Location: N. Texas and S. Africa
    Posts: 7,317
    Re: Your Longest Kill on Game

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timkenred View Post
    not much long shots around here , Mine was 410 yds. on a crow walking towards me in a nice green hay field using a Rem. 700 bdl varmit special in .243 win.with a Speer 75 gr. HP and 38 grs. of IMR 4895 .
    It looked like I shot a black pillow , little black feathers floated down for minutes .


    Dave
    Very good shot on a target as small as a crow.
    __________________
    Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: Your Longest Kill on Game
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Longest Big Game Kill With Rifle Len Backus Polls 393 09-13-2016 04:39 PM
    What Is Your Longest Shotgun Slug Big Game Kill? Len Backus Long Range Shotgun Slug Hunting 68 08-26-2015 10:54 AM
    Your Longest Archery Big Game Kill Len Backus Bowhunting 147 12-08-2014 09:56 PM
    Your Longest Archery Big Game Kill Len Backus Polls 172 11-12-2013 05:34 PM
    My longest kill so far. Parkerb14 Long Range Hunting & Shooting 13 08-20-2007 10:04 AM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC