Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

You have but one rifle....a 270 AM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2007, 04:30 AM
Gold Member

You have but one rifle....a 270 AM

You have but one rifle....a 270 AM, 30" barrel. Just what would ya load for your next elk and mulie hunt??? One load to cover both.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:15 AM
Platinum Member

Re: You have but one rifle....a 270 AM

I'd probably go with the heaviest/ highest BC bullet I could find. Probably start with the 169.5gr Wildcat and see if it shot well. Depending on the distance, I might try the 140gr Nosler Interbond or even better for elk than the Interbond would be the 150gr Partition.

I'd let the rifle tell me which of those it liked.

Don

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 03-17-2007, 07:26 AM
Gold Member

I might be a little swayed, but either the 169.5 or the 195 is going to do you justice, with the 195 giving you the better penetration on a shoulder shot.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 03-17-2007, 09:43 AM
Platinum Member

bearless:

Since this is a Long Range Hunting forum and not a sneak up and put it in their ear forum, I'd guess that we are talking about potential long range shots at deer and elk sized animals. You'd be best served by using the heaviest for caliber, highest BC bullet that is properly designed for hunting. The 270 AM has the horsepower to handle anything you can launch down the pipe.

Assuming the gun is properly built and can handle it, I'd go with the 195 Wildcat although the 169.5 would do the job also. Either one will easily handle an elk or a deer. I've had almost full body length penetration on elk with the Wildcats in my 7mm AM and wouldn't hesitate to use them again. In fact, Wildcats are what I'll be using again this coming hunting season. And it'll be the heaviest that I can launch.

I've shot deer with the heavy Wildcats as well as the lighter Accubonds with my 7mm AM and the terminal performance was just as good, if not better, with the Wildcats.

Long, heavy, pointy and well constructed bullets pushed by large amounts of powder in a properly built gun make for a happy hunter. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2007, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member

I would certainly concur with SS7MM, you just don't understand the real meaning of the term "sectional density" until you smack an elk with a heavy Wildcat bullet.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

Elk - 690 yards - 200 grain Wildcat ULD RBBT out of 7mm AM

Entrance

Where it ended up in cross side rear hind quarter

Comments on this elk hit as well as several deer with same gun was it sounded like a 500# beaver slapping his tail in a pond full of jello. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Music to my ears [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

And this guy was no where near as big or as far away as buffalobob's big bull he got last fall.

The 270 AM with the right bullet will do the same thing. Good luck with your new gun. You'll like it a lot. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2007, 12:55 PM
Gold Member

"Comments on this elk hit as well as several deer with same gun was it sounded like a 500# beaver slapping his tail in a pond full of jello. Music to my ears "

Yea and if your laying out prone, you get the added bonus, depending on the ground, of picking up the added shock wave coming through the ground under you. Definately something different to experience.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"