Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Xtreme Hardcore Rail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Xtreme Hardcore Rail

The more I think about this.... If you mounted the rail and then plumbed the scope to a plumb line with the rail level reading level, that would probably work OK. The reticle wouldn't necessarily be perfectly aligned to the bore but it would probably be close enough to work.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 04-12-2013, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member

You know this subject keeps bubbling up and it's really hard to make a point just posting. Someone (rifle smith) should make a video starting right at the receiver showing the process all the way up to installing the scope.

Great thread!

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 04-12-2013, 03:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
What I was getting at is that in order for this in-rail level to work correctly, the receiver and rail need to be machined and drilled perfectly and the bubble tube itself installed correctly. I'm not sure how one could bed the rail properly without the scope already installed and aligned to the bore. Aligning the scope to the bore is step 1. Adjusting the level so it plumbs the scope is step 2.

Like I said in my first post, it's a great idea.... but the devil is in the details.
How would one go about installing a rail with the scope already mounted to it?
Old 04-12-2013, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
How would one go about installing a rail with the scope already mounted to it?
That was my point. That said, I think the way I described in the next post (#36) would work.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams