Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Xtreme Hardcore Rail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Xtreme Hardcore Rail

Here is a picture of a rifle of David Tubbs purposely set up to cant the action. It doesn't matter how much the rifle is canted as long as the scope is aligned to the bore and they are both aligned to gravity.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Xtreme Hardcore Rail-tubbs-canted-rifle.jpg  

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 04-11-2013, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Here is a picture of a rifle of David Tubbs purposely set up to cant the action. It doesn't matter how much the rifle is canted as long as the scope is aligned to the bore and they are both aligned to gravity.
You have by posting this destroyed your entire premise.

That scope is in no possible way alighted with the bore other than both being pointed in the same direction.

The scope is set to level, the rest is out of level and out of alignment.

You cannot say it is aligned to the bore when it's setting several inches to the side.

Thank you however for making my point.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post

That scope is in no possible way alighted with the bore other than both being pointed in the same direction.

You cannot say it is aligned to the bore when it's setting several inches to the side.

I was thinking that, but didn't want to say it, until someone else did......

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

No, you're missing the point. By aligned to the bore, I mean the scope reticle is aligned with the bore. In other words, if the scope reticle were extended downward, it would intersect the bore (that is why I use a plumb line). The rifle in the picture is being held by the man's hand and is not accurate representation of the scope to bore, left and right. You can not see how the reticle is oriented. The point is when shouldered or placed on a rest, the scope is directly above the bore, when properly leveled.

Now imagine how the in-rail level would work on Tubb's rifle. It would indeed set the scope several inches to the right. This is an extreme example of why an nonadjustable in-rail level might not work.

Sorry you're not getting it. I didn't intend to get in a ******* contest, so I'll bow out now.

You go ahead and get the rail, install it, mount the scope, zero it in, then dial up up about 15 or 20 MOA and see what happens. It might work and it might not. The only way it will work is if everything is right ...or... you have some compensating errors. Bottom line is you just don't know. As for me, I'll take the steps to align and plumb everything the best I can.

Cheers

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 04-11-2013, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

Can't you use a Bushnell bore-mounted style bore-sighter with the grid and adjust your crosshairs up and down to see if they are aligned? Level the rifle, level the scope, and then check side travel with the grid on your boresighter...That's what I do. Works great for me.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
If the fella holding the rifle was to cant the rifle a little more as it looks to me the scope would be in perfect alignment with the bore and would shoot perfectly. Aligning the bore with the reticle is not brain surgery!

How come the picture did not come with the quote????

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 04-11-2013, 08:57 PM
Gold Member

It's aluminum so I wouldn't be interested.