Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Xtreme Hardcore Rail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member

Xtreme Hardcore Rail

I chased one of Len's rotating ad links to this site and liked the looks of this rail.

It is in fact stupidly simple and the price isn't at all bad.

Anyone tried these yet?

http://xtremehardcoregear.com/tru_level_pic_rail.html

Old 04-08-2013, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Xtreme Hardcore Rail

Might be worth a try. I like that bubble level built into it.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Might be worth a try. I like that bubble level built into it.
My thought as well. There are though certainly differences in how well one mfg does their machining vs another and I hate to be the guinea pig so I thought I'd ask if anyone here has given their product a ride.

Like I said it appears to be a stupidly simple idea and stupidly simple I like!

It also appears to me they already have some centered holes in the rail whereby you can if you so desire drop in a pin to "pin it" to your receiver as well as screwing it down and I really, REALLY like that idea.

With the shock and recoil forces some of our LR rigs generate and the size/weight of some of the scopes we use that extra security of a pin or two can be a life saver.

I have had two different scopes over the years shear off the mounting screws so I'm a big fan of pins or like the NF rails have the little extra lip that locks in against the receiver to prevent those shearing forces from getting a chance to get started.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member

I like the bubble level too.... but is it adjustable? Not much use if it isn't. Great idea though.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 04-09-2013, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
I like the bubble level too.... but is it adjustable? Not much use if it isn't. Great idea though.
Why would you want it to be adjustable? Level is level... .?

I'm lost on this one.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

Level to what?

If all the holes are drilled and tapped perfectly and the machining of the receiver and rail is perfect and the the bubble tube it self is set perfectly, then good to go. Chances of all that being true is very slim. Chances are that mounting that rail with bubble and leveling the bubble will cant the action a few degrees.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 04-09-2013, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Level to what?

If all the holes are drilled and tapped perfectly and the machining of the receiver and rail is perfect and the the bubble tube it self is set perfectly, then good to go. Chances of all that being true is very slim. Chances are that mounting that rail with bubble and leveling the bubble will cant the action a few degrees.
Doubtful it could be that far off unless it's so bad you can see it with the naked eye.

Even if it were slightly off as long as you use that level as "level" for the rifle and square off of it when leveling your scope for initial mounting the whole rig would still perform properly.

As long as that is your baseline for "level" the rest should work out just fine.