Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Wyoming Pronghorns & Wind

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2005, 11:33 AM
Gold Member

Re: Wyoming Pronghorns & Wind

I never put more than one round in my high powered rifles. If you spend all this time BR shooting and figuring out all the BC tables only to dent the points of all the rounds in a mag, what have you accomplished?

Gotta love those 7mm STW's
Old 04-13-2005, 02:32 PM

Wow.

Just discovered this forum in my search for info on affordable varminting scopes, etc. You fellers are a whole couple classes above this poor sot.

I have been known to bring home Wyoming speedgoats on a windy day from Kaycee, maybe not over 500 yds., but near 400 on the run. A 150 BST 300WSM might be a bit much for the little fellers (ok, ok, its my elk gun too), but its also a bit much for the wind - sure flies nice.

I think your biggest challenge will be their jumpiness, your shot may be on the run. They don't like it when they can't hear you cuz their ears are whistling in the wind.

Your other challenge will be changing conditions and variability of temps. That clay becomes some of the slimiest stuff on the planet - looks ok, butcha can't go nowheres.

Good & versatile transportation is a must. Um, for many reasons:

We carry coolers with block ice with us, holds a quartered lope nicely. We get 'em on ice within 1/2 hour, keeps the taste from going gamey. The first year we went, my mentor didn't - drove around with my goat in the back of the pickup on a cool day, became a somewhat unpopular dinner at home. The cooler makes the difference. So does the "GoatHoist". (no trees, and goat hair flies ALL over the meat otherwise)
Old 05-01-2005, 04:54 PM
Silver Member

antelope are really easy to kill, you just have to hit them.
Most of your shots should be 450 or less unless you chase them in a dune buggy or truck in which case your shots will go to 800 yards or more.

I shoot the 120g Nosler Ballistic tips at 3900 out of my 7 STW on ranges of 400 and less on small white tailed deer and it flattens the deer right on the spot.

You do the numbers on a ballistics program, the 160's do about 3100 in my rifle with a 26" bbl, the 120's are going 3900...that makes up for a lot of BC on SHORT range, the 120 is not a long range bullet. Most of the gimpers that I have had on antelope was due to hitting them low, if you hit them mid section, you will dump them on the spot.

Most of the antelope that I killed have with a 6mm Rem shooting the 95g partition. I shot them with the 270 and it massacred the goat. I shot them with two different 25/06's using the 100g Sierra's doing 3300 and it did a great job out to 800. I've also killed quite a few of them with a 223 and 22/250 using std 55g bullets at ranges out to 400. I don't generally miss them due to the wind, I miss them due to shooting over and under them! At times the wind will blow the bullet off an entire body length of the animal or more, but you have to have a little bit of knowledge of your ballistics to shoot in this kind of wind and distance to begin with.

You may have to shoot them on the run, in which 200-400 fps will cut the leade considerably.

What ever you use, your success will depend on just how far you can practice getting to know your rifle. Also, your optics are critical if you plan on shooting past 400. You need to see your exact bullet impact which will require a muzzle break and high end optics, spotters are about useless.

Email me for specifics on what my 7 STW does and good luck!
Old 05-02-2005, 07:43 PM
Gold Member

Red Chili
Did you make that speedgoat pole or did you buy it? I would
like to have something like that to fit my receiver & maybe
a little taller to take care of deer also. I have seen one
advertised, but I don't remember where. Any info would be
appreciated.

Nomosendero