Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Wyoming Pronghorns & Wind

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2005, 11:07 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Wyoming Pronghorns & Wind

Thanks Ric.

I keep a chart taped to the stock with the wind drift @ 10mph. Its easy to double or half; providing of course, that I can figure out what the wind is averaging between me and the target.

When I'm shooting varmints I always use an electronic wind gauge and directional flag but it only tells me what the wind is doing where I'm standing. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

WIND - It keeps us working for the hits that count. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I just double checked on max range based on your figure of 800 ft/lbs. of terminal energy. At 1,000yds the 162gr A-Max is still loping along at 1,728 ft/sec with 1,075 ft/lbs of energy. That's based on a muzzle velocity of 3,050 which is easily obtainable in the 7STW.

Of course there would be nearly 5' of wind (10mph) at that distance too. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

VH
Old 03-27-2005, 05:32 PM
Platinum Member

I don't know much about A-max, but a 7STW velocities at close range will over power lots of bullets. I suggest you consider an additonal bullet that is a lot tougher in case you wind up with a surprising close shot. Then you would have a long range bullet and a short range bullet. Been there and made that mistake on mule deer - 800 yd bullet at 40 yards doesn't work. At least the one I was using.

Hunted the San Rafael desert for five days scanning for antelope. In the end the buck was so lonely for company that it came running to me at full speed and I took the shot at about 50 yards with him on a dead run for me. 25-06 with 100 gr partition dead center in the chest almost no meat ruined. The very last thing I ever expected from an antelope.

Hunting is full of surprises and that is what makes it interesting, otherwise we would all just shoot benchrest.

Hope you have a good time.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member

buffalobob,

Interesting thought - maybe I'll bring a few 160gr Accubonds just in case.

I originally thought about using them but them seem to be a bit of overkill for pronghorns. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

VH
Old 03-27-2005, 06:54 PM
Silver Member

in response to the question about wind around casper:

Last fall most of our shooting was in 10-25 mph wind south of casper. The wind ships around pretty bad in this part of the state, probably why the wind farm had to install breaks on the windmills.
"I am a stone. I do not move. Very slowly, I put snow in my mouth and he won't see my breath. I take my time. . . I have only one bullet. I aim at his eye. Very gently, my finger presses on the trigger. I do not tremble. I have no fear"
Old 03-27-2005, 06:59 PM

I would seriously consider the 160 Accubond.. a little birdie whispered in my ear and I bet a few of us in our group will be shooting accubonds from .284 rifles....
Old 03-28-2005, 05:01 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
I have booked a trip to Casper Wyoming and will be hunting Pronghorns and PD's this fall.

Been working up a load for the pronghorns which will work well in the anticipated wind. I've got a good load using the 162gr A-Max (BC .625) and the 150SMK (BC .439).

The SMK has a lower BC but has a 100 ft/sec velocity advantage. The down side to the A-Max is that it must be single loaded due to its looong nose profile which will not allow it to fit in the magazine even if set back .020".

Both loads shoot < 1" @ 200 yards.

Which way would you guys go?

VH

Forgot to mention, rifle is a 7STW.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about using a game bullet? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I have been killing them for years. Anywhere from 50 yds to 501 yds. I have used Nosler Partitions, Ballistic tips, Hornady Interlocks Rem Core locts etc. Calibers used range from 6mm Rem to 416 WBY Mag (yes just for fun! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

Here is the 501 yds with a 264 Win Mag 125 Nosler Partition at 3350 fps.

This one is at 452 yds with a 416 WBY Mag-- 330 GS Custom at 3100 fps!

Old 03-28-2005, 06:47 PM
Platinum Member

POP,

I guess I could use my 460WBY mag but the thought of firing more than 1 full-house 500grain round sends chills up my spine. I think the pronghorn would get the better end of that deal. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'll do some load development with the 160 Accubond. I'd also be interested to see if it will fit in the magazine. Seems like none of the polymere tipped bullets do.

VH