Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Wyoming Pronghorns & Wind

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2005, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

Wyoming Pronghorns & Wind

I have booked a trip to Casper Wyoming and will be hunting Pronghorns and PD's this fall.

Been working up a load for the pronghorns which will work well in the anticipated wind. I've got a good load using the 162gr A-Max (BC .625) and the 150SMK (BC .439).

The SMK has a lower BC but has a 100 ft/sec velocity advantage. The down side to the A-Max is that it must be single loaded due to its looong nose profile which will not allow it to fit in the magazine even if set back .020".

Both loads shoot < 1" @ 200 yards.

Which way would you guys go?

VH

Forgot to mention, rifle is a 7STW.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:18 AM
Gold Member

Re: Wyoming Pronghorns & Wind

What range do you intend to shoot? In your 7 STW the 160 Nosler Accubond would work for long shots and feed. Accubonds have been very accurate. Pronghorn are pretty small. Even a Nosler BT would be more than enough bullet. I always worry about match bullets with a really light skinned animal. Just a thought. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-27-2005, 07:17 AM

both will work.. but the single feed thing could pose a real problem .. if you miss and the goat runs into the next draw...
practice shooting in wind....

do you know what area you'll be in...?

looks like we'll be south of Casper....
Old 03-27-2005, 07:23 AM
Gold Member

I'm going to go against Ric and say go with the heavier bullet even though it is a SS. The higher BC will buck the wind better allowing you to do the proper thing- make the first shot count! I have never felt handicapped with a single shot rifle, but that's just me. Shots can be long on speed goats and even though they are smaller than deer and thinner skinned you have a good combination for the Wyoming "breeze"!
Old 03-27-2005, 07:48 AM

oh I see how you are.... gunsmith knows more than wanna be gunsmith.... ( truth is he does ) but don't tell him....

he does have a point...

i look at deer sized game needing about 800 ft lbs of energy .... run your numbers see where you have 800 ft lbs... know that is about your max range....

then shoot alot....in the wind.. truth be told .. I like the heavies too!
Old 03-27-2005, 08:42 AM
Platinum Member

I'm hoping to take a shot between 400yds - 600 yards. The rifle is an established performer in that range. My biggest concern is the wind. The 162gr A-Max has the highest BC of any bullet that will stabilize in my 10" twist - at least that I know of. I think almost ANY bullet will kill pronghorns if placed properly and the A-Max should be deadly on thin skinned game.

Ric
How much wind should I expect on a fall day in Casper anyway?
Not sure exactly where we will be hunting but I'll be staying in Casper and hunting in that area. The guide submitted the specific area information on our tag applications.

VH
Old 03-27-2005, 10:08 AM

VH,

Well.... you could have 75* and calm.... or 75* and 15-20 mph winds that are blowing in a cold front and the next day have 35* temps and winds 5-10 mph...

what I suggest is that a day when most shooters are inside making bullets because of wind go shoot in it and see what your rifle does and write it down...

you honestly need to know 5mph, 10mph, 15 mph, and 20mph drifts... the area around Casper is "high desert" very very open....nothing to block the wind....