Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Wyoming passes the use of suppressors for hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Wyoming passes the use of suppressors for hunting

Once you shoot with a can its hard to shoot without it. Less noise. Less recoil. I have the yhm phantom 7.62. It is one of the least expensive cans on the market. It sounds great to me. I have a repeatable point of impact shift with the can of about 1 moa low right. I just re zeroed and I always hunt with the can now. If you are going to hunt with it and have the money buy a titanium can just for the weight reduction. The phantom weighs 28 oz and is 8 in long. Its great for coyote or antelope but i don't think I want to pack it on an elk hunt.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:19 AM
Gold Member

How are the federal laws with transporting from state to state? I don't have one (yet) but I do have a buddy that has a class 3 machine gun and suppressor, and he told me if he wanted to take it out of state he had to get written permission from the state he wants to take it to? Not sure if that's right or not.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:19 AM
Platinum Member

I'm very happy to see the bill pass, several of us were very involved in promoting the biill to our Senators & Reps:

Wyoming Rep Immediately Re-introduces Bill to Allow Suppressor Use

Here's a reply I received from Governor Mead's office:

Dear Tyler,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with Governor Mead'. This bill was signed by the Governor yesterday, February 18.

Sincerely,

Melissa Martinez
Executive Assistant
Office of Governor Matthew H. Mead
State Capitol
Cheyenne, WY 82002
(307) 777-7434

Thunder Beast Arms is first on my call list for a new can.

t

Old 02-21-2013, 12:35 PM
Gold Member

It took about 6 months to get my tax stamp back. I got a .30 cal Titanium Suppressed Armament Systems Arbiter from Mile High Shooting. It use it for everything up to 300 Win Mag. Suppressors are really nice to shoot with.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentc View Post
It took about 6 months to get my tax stamp back. I got a .30 cal Titanium Suppressed Armament Systems Arbiter from Mile High Shooting. It use it for everything up to 300 Win Mag. Suppressors are really nice to shoot with.

I'm considering the 30P-1 from TBAC, being a Wyo company that's helped us get the bill passed, I feel compelled to show them support.

t

Old 02-21-2013, 12:47 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
I'm considering the 30P-1 from TBAC, being a Wyo company that's helped us get the bill passed, I feel compelled to show them support.

t
I can't fault your logic. Thunderbeast makes a fantastic can. I've often thought of getting one for myself to go along side my Arbiter.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:06 PM
Gold Member

Just my guess, but...since getting a license to own a suppressor is a FEDERAL deal, there should be no law forbiding you from crossing state lines with it. It isn't illigal to OWN one anywhere as long as you have the proper federal paperwork in order...just not legal in some states for certain uses...like hunting. You can have it, just not USE it. Unlike a concealed carry permit, which is state issued.

My question.....do you need to have the serial number of the can/ gun or cobination of both for your initial paperwork for the license, or can I just apply for the paperwork? What I mean is.....can I apply for the stamp before I purchase the suppressor? Just get the paperwork started, and AFTER I get the pirmit simply purchase what I want????

More questions......do I need a permit for EACH supressor, or does one license cover multiple units? How about transfering the unit from gun to gun...can I get ONE unit fit to multiple guns?

sorry we are getting off topic...sorta...but they allow suppressor use up here in ND also....kinda curious!!