Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

WRONG GUNS GUYS...be a hunter pls

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 12:36 AM
Silver Member

Re: WRONG GUNS GUYS...be a hunter pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
I have never been in a situation where a hunter took a good animal, walked up to it, found it dead and said, "I really wish I had used a smaller rifle!"
I'm still laughing at that quote. So funny!
Old 12-19-2011, 08:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
Ss7mm

Well said.
DITT! Thanks for the excellent job in keeping all of us straight.

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:41 AM
Gold Member

Kirby is much more elequent than me. I won't take a bad shot. Some years I never filled my tags. I passed on long range high risk shots. Then I bought a 7STW when it was still a wildcat. 28 inch barrel. Then I bought a 30-378 Either one of those is good for the lower 48.

I always practice for the long shot and I'm still ready for the 50 yard. Well I did have trouble one year. It is hard to figure out where you are on a deer with a 6X - 24X when all you see is hair. I had to go up and down a couple of times to center my shot and figure scope height into the placement.

The not worry factor is a big + with HP rifles. I use my 243 for the smaller stuff Antelope and down
Old 12-19-2011, 08:20 PM
Silver Member

I used my dad's old Winchester model 70 30.06 springfield up until about 8 years back when I broke down and bought myself a Remington 700 7mmRem Mag. My reasoning behind it, I have to admit.... I was a less than perfect shot and I wanted to be able to knock the game down no matter what! Lol probably not the best reason. However, I have begun reloading since then, Have learned alot, and have become much better! Now all I shoot is Magnums, I can shoot at distances I never imagined I'd be able to and with much more precision. I feel that Magnums have made me a better hunter, because like many of you are stating...I am much more confident and comfortable now any time I pull the trigger. Even though my longest kill has been only 600 yards....I wouldve never attempted that shot with my 30.06
Its retired now. Last but not least I'd like to say what I heard from a Professional African Hunter " Always make sure you have enough gun " Lol and its true. All my Magnums including my 300wby mag can shoot anything at 50 yards too. But its much more fulfilling taking a poke out there at 500+ and getting it done! No longer will my heart be broken if that Big buck walks a tad out of my range. I personally am glad I shoot the Big stuff now.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss7mm View Post
That's not what you posted and I would not have deleted it for that. What I deleted were posts that were going to take the thread in the wrong direction. Trust me when I say that your posts are not memorable enough for me to remember each one. The majority of them are statements that I'm amazed an adult would post and a majority of them always seem to be written with an attitude. That's all I'll say on the subject. If you have a problem with anything I say or do on this site then by all means feel free to talk with Len and voice your complaints. I know you know how to get hold of him.

The intent of the original post was not my main concern, the direction the thread was headed was my concern. Unlike some who feel that they can say and do whatever they want around here, I personally try to keep the site clean of debris that would degrade what the site is truly all about.
I appreciate you keeping the site clean! I allow my kids to look at some pictures and videos on here, it would be a shame for them to find language on here that is not heard around my house.... I do respect that!
There's enough garbage on the rest of the internet and I'm glad I don't find it on LRH

Keep up the good work
Old 12-20-2011, 09:04 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
SpencerSS,

I should have been more specific on my points. Personally, I beleive that conventional long range bullet selection SHOULD start at 6.5mm and go up from there. Actually, I personally believe that 7mm is even a better minimum for a LONG RANGE bullet selection.

In my opinion and its only my opinion, the 243 is to light for hunting big game at long range, that being over 700 yards. Less then this ya, they work fine if everything goes right but I have seen some pretty serious problems with things do not go perfect.

A 95 gr Partition in 6mm has a pretty weak BC, its also pretty light weight and if the bullet looses its 60% bullet weight as designed thats is very little sectional density left to get the work done. Pronghorns are VERY light critters, their bones are very lightly constructed so not a good test of any bullet.

A 6mm, even the best ones do not do alot of vital tissue damage on big game at long range. Again, I am not referring to 200, 300 and 400 yard impacts, I am referring to LONG RANGE hunting which we need to get back to on those web page. The debates have been slipping back toward conventional range hunting more and more.

I stated the X bullet has problems with pressure. I did not say anything about the TSX bullet because they do not have pressure issues. They however do not have a very high BC and are inconsistant expanders at LONG RANGE. When you have inconsistant expansion from a 6mm bullet you can get into serious problems.

Its for this reason and the several others listed that I do not feel a 6mm is a good choice for a long range bullet choice.

I know full well they work. I have killed several dozen whitetail deer out to 400 yards using a 22-250 and a 55 gr Hornady SP bullet, never lost a single deer using that combo, still I have witnessed some not so good shot placements that turned out in VERY sad results. I have seen the same thing many times with the larger 6mm wildcats much larger then your 243 AI.

Ballistically they are impressive, terminally, they are adequate in most situations, I do not leave a long range shot opportunity to "adequate". In my opinion, as stated before, overkill is a mythical place, no such thing if you can pilot the power with precision.

Someday, if you keep using the 243 AI for long range hunting, its only a matter of time that something bad will happen. You could say this with any chambering but the likelihood that you will loose a big game animal with a smaller chambering goes up dramatically as the range increases compared to the larger caliber chamberings. That is a simple fact. Again, if you hit the X on every shot, you will never have a problem but if you are reaching out past 500 yards, its just a matter of time.

If you're refering to long range shots, then why did you say the NP has trouble with impact velocities over 2900, in your first post? What gun is going to have a partition, or any bullet for that matter, moving at 2900+ past 700yds?

As far as lightly constructed pronghorns, this is true; but if you send a bullet in the front and through the spine, down the length of it, as I did, those light bones act quite heavy. As I said before I've never had problems with NPs penetrating at high impact velocities, which is what you suggested in your first post.

Lastly, I don't use the 243AI on big game at long range (700+), and never said I did. I've got a 260AI, 284win, and soon a 7mmWSM. Still, the 105Amax, and 105VLD at 3200fps start do wonderful things for the long poke, my targets being steel, crows, and the ocasional slick-head for feel goodness.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:09 AM
Silver Member

I think soundwaves asked a good question and stated it with observable facts that we all know to be true! While reading LRH it does sound like we only use cannons for hunting. For me and probably most people, the answer is that we are multiple rifle hunters and pick the one that best serves our particular circumstances. Sometimes a 30-30 sometimes an Elyphunt rifle. My favorite Antelope rifle is still a 6mm and my favorite LR Roosevelt Elk rifles are absolutely large.