Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

WRONG GUNS GUYS...be a hunter pls

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 04:48 PM

Re: WRONG GUNS GUYS...be a hunter pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.O. Shooter View Post
From a .22 to a .50 BMG, a well placed shot will get the job done! The animal/or whatever will not know the difference what it was shot with! Dead is Dead!
well said.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

This is my scenario, last 2 seasons I missed large 75'' type speed goats on wind calls w/257.My large 300 berger has much less wind drift, dead goat and it was smaller than the others. I watched a bull feed @ 840, by time I set up shot was gone, so I hiked up and bam, bull taking a 300 pill @ 50 yrds. I prepare for long range, but have killed many critters on way up or down the mountain
Old 12-15-2011, 11:45 PM
Silver Member

I understand why most of the guys here hunt with these huge ultra super duper ginormous magnarifles. They lift weights, talk like swartzeneger, run triathlons with 120lbs packs and shoot critters in the mountains of colorado and wyoming from their porch in virginia. Oh, and because they are trying to make up for the fact that they don't have a 6.5-284 or a 6.5x55. Thats all it is, and its ok. Nobody is perfect. We have found a site where they can freely talk about their insecurity. Me, I shoot 6.5mm rifles, this way I know, if I can see it, I have just the right rifle.

Now that that is out of the way, If I build a custom rifle it will be a 460 weatherby magnum! Why?? Because I want to load 300 grain remington hollow points at 3300 fps and shoot a deer at 100 yards and watch it pop like a prairie dog!!! Death should be instant so I believe "humane" is covered. On another note, I have traveled a through some mountains in Turkey, and I cannot imagine why you would not want a ginormous super duper ultra long range extreme magnum. You could shoot whatever type of horned animal it is you have there from your porch to wherever it happened to be as well! And if I could swing a custom rifle, I would probably have a 338 Edge to match that 460! I wanna shoot elk from my bedroom window too!
Old 12-16-2011, 12:03 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.O. Shooter View Post
From a .22 to a .50 BMG, a well placed shot will get the job done! The animal/or whatever will not know the difference what it was shot with! Dead is Dead!
Try taking that animal/ or whatever down at 700 yards with that .22 you mentioned. Dead is dead.. unless of course it doesn't die.
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 12-16-2011, 12:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootkittens View Post
Try taking that animal/ or whatever down at 700 yards with that .22 you mentioned. Dead is dead.. unless of course it doesn't die.
You missed the point he was making.he's just saying to each his own. If its legal who is to say you are wrong in your personal choices.

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 12-16-2011, 12:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootkittens View Post
I guess I was going for a metaphor there! But you get the point! I hope!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures/Ongoing Shooting Thread
Old 12-16-2011, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks Mike ,

That was a little freaky we posted in or about the same time!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures/Ongoing Shooting Thread