Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Is it worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 12:46 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Is it worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The rule of thumb is 50-100fps, but I think it's more like 30-75fps which is why I went with the possible spread I did.

Quality of the barrel and chambering makes a big difference as does the powder being used.

Like most things we discuss here there are a hell of a lot of factors involved.
Yes, many factors. Here's another link that may Drastically change your mind on fps per inch tho.
I'm not picking at you, at all, & I mean no disrespect whatsoever. I realy enjoy reading your posts, & I agree on many things you write. I just found this to be unbeliveably diffrent than the common theory. I was shocked when I read it.
Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels Dan Lilja's Article on velocity loss per inch testing on a 338-378.
Now an aprox 13 fps per inch for big cases with heavy for caliber bullets may be a bit extreme compared to a 300 RUM with 200+/- gr bullets, but these results are nowhere near 50-100 fps per inch.
I'm a big fan of Long barrels. I can't stand the 24" pipe on my 300 Wby. Imo its a waste of steel. I'd MUCH rather run a 28" pipe, & take advantage of slower burning powders. I'm all for longer barrels to aid in Long Range performance. Id just hate to see a guy spend a lot of $ for less gain than he expected. Between Kirby's article, & Dan Liljas article, I no longer put much stock in massive fps per inch gain/loss, at least not in large case capacity magnums in the 30 cal & larger bores.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 12-10-2011, 01:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
Yes, many factors. Here's another link that may Drastically change your mind on fps per inch tho.
I'm not picking at you, at all, & I mean no disrespect whatsoever. I realy enjoy reading your posts, & I agree on many things you write. I just found this to be unbeliveably diffrent than the common theory. I was shocked when I read it.
Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels Dan Lilja's Article on velocity loss per inch testing on a 338-378.
Now an aprox 13 fps per inch for big cases with heavy for caliber bullets may be a bit extreme compared to a 300 RUM with 200+/- gr bullets, but these results are nowhere near 50-100 fps per inch.
I'm a big fan of Long barrels. I can't stand the 24" pipe on my 300 Wby. Imo its a waste of steel. I'd MUCH rather run a 28" pipe, & take advantage of slower burning powders. I'm all for longer barrels to aid in Long Range performance. Is just hate to see a guy spend a lot of $ for less gain than he expected. Between Kirby's article, & Dan Liljas article, I no longer put much stock in massive fps per inch gain/loss.
No offense taken. With each caliber there is a point of diminishing returns. Where that point lies is going to depent on a host of factors not the least of which are the powder and bullet weight.

I'll leave it to the guys with the computers and pressure sensors to figure out where that point is and trust the gun and barrel makers to give us their best advice.

I'm in a business where my name and reputation are everything, so are those guys. They have more work typically than they can get to and long waiting lists. It doesn't do them any good at all to talk you into something you don't need, or won't be happy with because it's word of mouth that drives their businesses, not expensive paid for advertising.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brambles View Post
will a .30 cal 1:10 twist stabilize the high BC 210 gr bullets in a 300 RUM?

Are some barrel makers routinly producing faster barrels than others or is it a "get lucky" scenario
I belive a 10 twist will stabilize a 210, but I'm with wildrose on running a tighter twist especially if you want to try the new super high b.c. 30 cal 230's at some point. Again, just as he said, talk to your chosen barrel manufacturer with your plans on bullet wt, & they'll give you the choice of propper twist rates.

Oh, & as far as turning the 300 Wby into 300 RUM... well I looked into it a little, & for me, the $ spent vs performance gained rules it out for now. Someday ill step up with the big boys & go with a full on custom in 338-something-? Then after that, possibly turn the 300 Wby into the 300 rum, or just buy another rifle in 300 rum. Can't ever have too many 300's. But my construction is vollitile right now, & I have 3 kids, a wife, & a mortgage..... Ya, it may be a while

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 12-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Silver Member

Sorry winmag for not finishing what I should have said. you had wished your weatherby was a rum so you could make an edge when your barrel was shot outl. I said the rum and weatherby have the same case head and being the edge is a 300 rum necked up to 338 all you need is a new barrel because the action and boltface is fine. hope that one made sense.