Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Is it worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 11:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Is it worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
It varies from bbl to bbl but generally anywhere from 50-150fps.
I agree about every bbl being unique.
I doubt it would be anywhere near 150 fps. total tho.
See "Fastest 338 without Cheytac" thread, Last pg. Post #29 by Kirby Allen (fiftydriver) in this section, page 3.
Im guessing somewhere in the 20-40 fps per inch with the RUM. I could be WAAAAAY off here, but if I'm interpreting Kirbys results correctly, I'd say you'll gain some for sure, but not any massive amount. Maybe I'm underestimating a bit, maybe not, but I'd rather figure low, & be pleasantly suprised with any extra.
I used to go with the 50-60 fps per inch theory, but looking at the link, & the post Kirby wrote, I don't know that it even aplies at all anymore.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 12-09-2011, 11:24 PM
Platinum Member

For me it's been no contest, 338 RUM!!! I've gone through the 7mm, 300 and 338 RUM in some variations and with the 338 your getting something for your powder and barrel!! With your 300 RUM your only getting 140 ft lbs of energy more at 1000yrds than I do with my 270 WSM loaded with a 175 gr Matrix and I use only 64 gr of Retumbo.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"

Last edited by bigngreen; 12-10-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
I agree about every bbl being unique.
I doubt it would be anywhere near 150 fps. total tho.
See "Fastest 338 without Cheytac" thread, Last pg. Post #29 by Kirby Allen (fiftydriver) in this section, page 3.
Im guessing somewhere in the 20-40 fps per inch with the RUM. I could be WAAAAAY off here, but if I'm interpreting Kirbys results correctly, I'd say you'll gain some for sure, but not any massive amount. Maybe I'm underestimating a bit, maybe not, but I'd rather figure low, & be pleasantly suprised with any extra.
I used to go with the 50-60 fps per inch theory, but looking at the link, & the post Kirby wrote, I don't know that it even aplies at all anymore.
The rule of thumb is 50-100fps, but I think it's more like 30-75fps which is why I went with the possible spread I did.

Quality of the barrel and chambering makes a big difference as does the powder being used.

Like most things we discuss here there are a hell of a lot of factors involved.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:16 AM
Silver Member

will a .30 cal 1:10 twist stabilize the high BC 210 gr bullets in a 300 RUM?

Are some barrel makers routinly producing faster barrels than others or is it a "get lucky" scenario
Old 12-10-2011, 12:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brambles View Post
will a .30 cal 1:10 twist stabilize the high BC 210 gr bullets in a 300 RUM?

Are some barrel makers routinly producing faster barrels than others or is it a "get lucky" scenario
Spend the xtra hundred or so to get their best "ultra match" or equivalent barrel that the maker has hand lapped.

As for twist rates, I'm not an expert but if I were specifically thinking in terms of long range with max weight bullets I'd probably go with 1:9 or 1:9.5.

Talk to whomever you are ordering from, tell them exactly what you are doing and go with what they tell you they believe will work best.

When I overhaul my STW I'm just going to send the whole thing to Krieger, have them true it, and do the complete install. That way if I have any issues I only have one person to deal with.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:45 AM
Platinum Member

A 1-10 will stabilize a 210 nicely, Berger lists the 230gr OTM for a 1-10 twist as well. If I ever went back to the 30 cals it would be to shoot the upper level of weights where you can get more for the bang but your still going to have the possibility of eating barrels.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 12-10-2011, 12:46 AM
Silver Member

so winmag, why cant you rechamber the weatherby to an edge, pretty much same case head as the ultramag.