Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Wooo Hoo I did it!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2003, 02:52 PM
*WyoWhisper*

Re: Wooo Hoo I did it!!!

Sorry guys I was so excited yesterday I could hardly stand it..

the ULR stuff really got addicting.

Never thought I get 2 goals in one day...

Cam My ULR shots were from the bench that DC helped me on. He hooked me up with a guy that makes the legs. AWESOME!!! The size of the 1500 yard dog was about 3" X 12" if you hang up the new plastic coke bottles thats a good start...

I did use the EXBAl program as well as the horus. They both worked but I had more detailed info from the EXBAL. I would say I got faster results from HORUS but more accurate results from EXBAL. Although both worked in all situations within 6" or so.
The hardest part was the switching wind. That took some getting used to. Literally you could see grass at the target blowing to the left and on your face you could feel it blowing to the right...

Man I am still excited... I'm getting itchy to do it again!!
Old 05-18-2003, 03:00 PM

LOL, now you know how I felt after nailing my first one! Kinda itchy all over...

Quinn.
Old 05-18-2003, 03:07 PM
Platinum Member

Ric,
How long does it take to range them little fellas?

A nice shooting table's next on my list too.
Old 05-18-2003, 04:28 PM

Glad to hear you finally made it!! Wish I could have hung around a couple of more days to tag along. I have all the stuff to make the hunt, just fell short on time this year. I'll have to get on the ball to strech it a little further next time--how's a mile sound??? The Tommy is really itching to send some SMKs downrange...
Old 05-18-2003, 05:27 PM
Platinum Member

Ric,
Thanks for sharing those shots, you obviously had a great time. Shooting and hitting is the icing on the cake when you are sharing time with good guys and using good toys - right! Look forward to hearing about more long shots. I have a p-dog shoot coming up mid June but doubt that anyone will be tossing them that far.
Old 05-18-2003, 06:43 PM
*WyoWhisper*

CJ,

I was thinkin' of ya... wish ya coulda been there... man all those toys and so little time!!
You realize I missed a 1 mile shot by a lousy 240 yards!!! There was another hill we could have parked on and I would have had the distance easily!!

Brent the shooting table was easy.. CJ saw it ... It is just 2 pieces of 3/4 inch plywood glued together with liquid nails. I then put on 3 heavy heavy coats of polyurethane ( to water proof it ) and mounted the adjustable legs.. It weighs maybe 80 lbs. and fit in the back of my pick-up. not a big deal when you can drive to the PD towns.

We ranged the PD's with a Barr and Stroud that Jerry's buddy had. Nice unit..
I'll see if I can post some pics... maybe I'll send them to CJ to post...

I'm tellin ya... we should get some guys from this board to make the trip next year and really stretch the legs of some of the rifles. All LR stuff not the bang, bang, bang, bang, stuff.

I hope Boyd and Butch draw tags this year an maybe if the weather cooperates we can try to get it on video.

I will have some free time in late August or early Sept. If someone wants to give it a whirl... just pay the nominal tresspass fee's and we'll give it a go!!
Old 05-18-2003, 06:56 PM

[ 07-11-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]