Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Woodchuck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2003, 01:59 PM
Bronze Member

Woodchuck

Just wanted to share this with the group. This morning I went out shooting chucks. I wanted to get in some shooting before the storm hits. Hunting through some apple trees between two feilds I saw a woodchuck. A fat one, I love the fat ones!! He was out at 120 yards or so, sitting on his hind legs. I laid my 1/8 inch target dot in the center of mass and gently squeezed the trigger. The 52 grain Hornady A-max went through with out slowing down leaving a golf ball size exit hole. One of the great things about shooting a 223 Rem. is that you can watch the hit through the scope. The chuck hit the ground dead before the sound of the shot reached his position. His tail went straight up in the air shaking side to side like a French flag of surrender. Why do they do that?

H-bar can hit a tick on a running deer's back at 1000yds in a wind storm!
Old 09-18-2003, 05:17 PM
Silver Member

Re: Woodchuck

"Why do they do that?"

I've seen them shake like that for two reasons. 1) gut shot. 2) central nervous system disruption. Yours sounds like a good case of the later. Keep up the good work. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2003, 05:57 PM
Silver Member

Holy cow grunt that looks like some wind storm you typed up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can own up to given a few deer somewhat of a headache!!! Good thing I brought the quad the other day. I would have died dragging those deer all that distance.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:56 PM
Silver Member

deergrunt,
Don't ya just love it when the surender like that! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2003, 09:15 AM
Bronze Member

Deergrunt, I just moved from NY to MO and boy do I miss the chuck hunting up there! I went back for a week this summer and managed to get 16 chucks and 2 crows with one shot. I was in the edge of a big alfalfa field that my friend had just mowed when on the other side of the field two Crows landed. It was a measured 285yds and I guess they felt safe. I clicked up 7 notches on my leupold and held dead on the left one(they were side by side ,not in line) when the 22-250 barked I could see a cloud of feathers and I knew I got one. When I stopped laughing I went over to find one exploded and the other dead without a mark on him! What a shot!!!
Old 09-30-2003, 12:32 PM
Platinum Member

Chuckster " ...I went back for a week this summer and managed to get 16 chucks and 2 crows with one shot..."

Damn!! I've never seen groundhogs and crows line up...I've done 2 chucks at once but never 16 with one shot [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

JB
Old 09-30-2003, 12:56 PM
Bronze Member

After I read it again it does seem hard to believe don't it?

I was just kidding about the chucks LOL