Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Wolves impact on your hunting future!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2008, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, I hear all of the above. But so what? So what? as in what do we do now? The wolves have been delisted in Idaho and I suppose other states. Rumors are that ID will have a 300 wolf quota this fall. I doubt that will ever happen.

The wolf has greatly impacted the Idaho elk herds to the extent that last year we saw no rag horns or spikes. I think one small bull got harvested the day before the season opened.

Saw several good bulls. Each with 4 to 6 cows. One lucky fella had a dozen cows. Saw plenty of fresh wolf sign.

Again, so what.....does a fella do?
Old 02-27-2008, 04:44 PM
Bronze Member

I like to think of myself as a lawabiding citizen but there is a point when commen sense and ethics come into play. It was the same ( is the same) here in michigan on a smaller scale critter wise with coyotes and small game ie bunnies pheasants grouse turkeys ect about 10 years ago there were no sign of coyotes and I could go out on my 80 acres and hunt all of the above with great success now I can go out with mine and my brothers beagles and we may jump one or two bunnies and I havent seen a pheasent in 3 or 4 years its the same thing on his 800 acre farm 30 miles away nothing anywhere Two years ago we started to pick them off after a dnr officer told us we could only do so on his farm if they were doing or about to do damage well they were damaging our small game. After two years were up to 38 at my place and we have taken almost 100 on his farm two of which had a calf cornerd and were nipping at it. They also have been breeding with wild dogs and are becoming more aggresive. So on my hunting trip to Idaho next fall I guess it will be shoot shovel and shut up. :mad:
Old 02-27-2008, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

old timers wolf trap:

"Take a good piece of peeanno wire, find yer self a good treble hook wit a bout a inch and a half gap, hanger from a stout limb about 5 feet off da ground. Hide dat hook in a hunk of venison. Always hang um were you've been and never were your going."
Old 02-27-2008, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Yeah, I hear all of the above. But so what? So what? as in what do we do now? The wolves have been delisted in Idaho and I suppose other states. Rumors are that ID will have a 300 wolf quota this fall. I doubt that will ever happen.

The wolf has greatly impacted the Idaho elk herds to the extent that last year we saw no rag horns or spikes. I think one small bull got harvested the day before the season opened.

Saw several good bulls. Each with 4 to 6 cows. One lucky fella had a dozen cows. Saw plenty of fresh wolf sign.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Again, so what.....does a fella do?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Roy -Did you sell all your rifles ????????
Old 02-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Bronze Member

Cowboy, I like yer thankin, but man you got any idea how many madder'n hell grizzlies there'd be runnin around here with those big snaggin hooks hangin out uf their mouths. And twice as many game wardens tryin to figur out how all us salmon snaggers hooked all those fishin bears. Thanks for the advise.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Silver Member

400, I live and hunt in the heart of the Bitteroot. So far, wolves have had little, if any impact on the elk hunting here. But, I know it is coming as the wolves are here to stay. I see more and more sign of wolves every year. Right now, some hunters blame their lack of success on the wolves. That said, I will be packing a wolf tag if the huggers don't get the season tied up in court this year. A hunting season is the only hope that us hunters have as a way of possibly controlling the wolves. I could live with the current poulation we have here now, but not any more. There has to be a balance acheived. mtmuley
Old 02-27-2008, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

Ol Mike,

My 270 AM is due for a new paint job and name. She's been the "Big Girl". Been thinkin' to changing it to "da Woofer" or somesuch thing.

The paint job will definitely be related to the name theme.

And like mtmuley I WILL have a wolf tag in the pouch this fall, if the huggers don't screw that up also.