Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Wolf quota to at least double.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 02:51 PM
Gold Member

Re: Wolf quota to at least double.

There is a big "IF" in this whole scenario. There is a hearing coming up very soon regarding "IF" there is even going to be a season in Montana and Idaho. Malloy is the judge out of Missoula and a bunch of the fuzzy hugger groups filed a law suite at the last minute before season opened last year and Malloy said there are some problems but he was going to allow the season to progress. However - he warned that he had some very serious reservations that the season should progress in the future under what conditions are in place. So don't be surprised if this thing really blows up. I thought Wyoming took the right approach but now it may be all three States downfall in even having any season in any State. Let's hope that reason overcomes technical BS.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

Did some digging and found some info for the MT wolves and what FWP is looking at. Nothing is set yet but this will give you an idea the direction. A lot of reading but there is some interesting data on movements.

http://fwpiis.mt.gov/content/getItem.aspx?id=43594

http://fwpiis.mt.gov/content/getItem.aspx?id=43593
Old 05-18-2010, 04:48 AM
Gold Member

Good, now get them to be reasonable with the out-of-state wolf tag prices and I'll gladly help you out if an opportunity presents itself. $200+, while reasonable for something like antelope, is too steep for what is basically a lottery ticket.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:29 AM
Bronze Member

Idaho fell short of its wolf harvest objective of 220 in 2009, with hunters taking only about 180. 26,429 tags were sold, at $11.50 for residents and $186.00 for non-residents. It is a shame that the non-resident fee is so high, as most non-residents are on guided big-game hunts and probably have a better chance at wolf sightings than does the typical resident.

Of the 26,429 tags, less than 700 were to non-residents. If the tags were more reasonable, I suspect far more NR tags would have been sold, with a resulting increase in kill.

Idaho wants to greatly increase its harvest, as, even with 180 taken by hunters, and more than 100 additional confirmed killed by other causes (road kill, defensive kills by landowners, government killed due to stock depradation, etc) the number of wolves in the state still increased from the year previous.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Bronze Member

Now only if Wyoming can get the wolf on the "predator list" with a few trophy areas. I'm sick of seeing the effect of these animals on our big game population. They kill for pleasure half the time and are extremely smart.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:51 AM
Bronze Member

Idaho Sets Emergency Wolf Control

IDAHO FISH AND GAME
HEADQUARTERS NEWS RELEASE

Boise, ID

Date:May 17, 2010Contact:Ed Mitchell
(208) 334-3700

wolf control action planned in lolo zone

Idaho Fish and Game has authorized four backcountry outfitters to help reduce wolf numbers in parts of the Lolo wolf management zone.
Outfitters and their licensed guides already in the backcountry on spring black bear hunts will work with Fish and Game in a predator control action to reduce wolf numbers.
The four outfitters are authorized to kill up to five wolves each in their operating area by the end of the spring bear season June 30. The agency control action is not open to hunters.
The effort is in response to concerns that wolf numbers are preventing recovery of elk herds in the Lolo zone from a long decline. Fish and Game research has shown that predators have kept the Lolo herds in a downward trend. Fish and Game will evaluate the effectiveness of the control action as part of its ongoing Lolo elk study.
The action is in accordance with Fish and Game's wolf management plan and the predator management plan for the Lolo zone, which includes black bears, mountain lions and wolves. The predator management plan is on the Fish and Game Website at http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/cms/wil...ayPredPlan.pdf. The wolf management plan is at http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/cms/wil...ManagePlan.pdf.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member

It's nothing but a big lie ... Montana do not have any wolves.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.