Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Wolf quota to at least double.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 01:00 AM
Platinum Member

Wolf quota to at least double.

Just read that Montana is going to at least double the 2009 quota for wolves for 2010.

joseph

Last edited by joseph; 05-17-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:28 AM
Silver Member

Re: Wolf quota to at least double.

2009? Are you sure?

Last edited by Southpaw; 05-17-2010 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Nicer version LOL
Old 05-17-2010, 09:13 AM
Platinum Member

I can't find any offical word from FWP yet, I know that they want to double it but I haven't heard if it is official yet. I heard Idaho is upping the quota and allowing almost no holds barred hunting methods, like trapping and electronic callers.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:20 AM
Gold Member

Lock n load!
Old 05-17-2010, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

Hopefully everyone will learn not to fill the quota so the season always remains open. It is up to all hunters to try and salvage what little hunting we have remaining. Non-expanding bullets through the gut do very well to eliminate wolves from eradicating all game animals while at the same time keeping the wolf season open. Words can not describe how serious the wolf situation is. Everyone do what they can to eliminate this threat to big game populations.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time Long Ranger View Post
Hopefully everyone will learn not to fill the quota so the season always remains open. It is up to all hunters to try and salvage what little hunting we have remaining. Non-expanding bullets through the gut do very well to eliminate wolves from eradicating all game animals while at the same time keeping the wolf season open. Words can not describe how serious the wolf situation is. Everyone do what they can to eliminate this threat to big game populations.
True words LTLR!! I would add to try to pick of the breeding females first, don't just pick of the yearlings, we have to target adults first then the younger one will come easier. I talked to the local Gov trapper that shoots all of the problem ones and he said there are several packs he can't get with an airplane and now the helecopter is getting figured out by some of the pack, these are smart animal and we need to kill them smart!!
Old 05-17-2010, 01:07 PM
Silver Member

Just a little something to think about that was emailed to me.

http://biggameforever.org/wolf-overpopulation.php

As most of you know, the wolf is devastating herds of elk, deer and moose in the states where they have been reintroduced. Recovery objectives in the Western States were met in 2002 and they went unchecked until 2009 when Idaho and Montana had the first seasons. My studies on this problem show that between 30% to 50% of a given population of wolves must be reduced each year to maintain current populations, which are 4 time the original objective. Now the anti-hunters (anti hunting is the real agenda in this issue) have the ear of the judge making the decision on whether to put them back on the endangered list. Obviously, if that happens, management of the wolf will cease again. We will always have wolves, the goal is not to eliminate them, but rather to let the biologists and scientists develop plans to manage them like all other big game in America is managed. The North American model for game management has been extremely successful for many years and it is now in jeopardy because one species is not being controlled.

I urge you to sign the petition that you will find by clicking on the link above.

Regards,

Boyd R. Burns