Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Wolf killed on TV sheep hunt.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2006, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member

Wolf killed on TV sheep hunt.

Howdy ,

I did some couch hunting this morning and saw a pretty good show.It was "hunting americana" i think <-could be wrong because i don't generally like most hunting shows.
Anyway a young hand had won a hunt and shot a mountain goat in the yukon using a 338 federal cartridge [308 necked up to 338].
They were hunting out of a small boat and i believe they were after caribou after taking the goat.A wolf pack howled pretty close by and they started running for the boat --well that pigued my interest.I figured this might be going to get real silly so i watched more closely,the guide got the hunters set-up at the waters edge and did a voice call to the wolves.They started howling back and in short order a big black wolf walked out to the edge of the brush on the other side of the river and took a 338 federal thru the chest!
The shows host [he and a guide -guided the contest winning hunter] was sitting in the open using binos and looking for the wolves before the shot.The way he was turning his head back and forth so fast -i'd have to say there was alot of luck on their side ,the guide said getting a mature wolf like this was very lucky.
The host also explained statistics of how wolves wipe out game populations -killing 85% of the fawn/calf crop.
Getting a wolf is on my list of things to do someday!Mike