Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Witnessed something very strange today, still mystified over this....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2006, 12:28 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Witnessed something very strange today, still mystified over this....

Kirby,
some animals have just got a lot more heart than others. My experience was with a Blesbuck (120 pound antelope). He was an old male that wasn't going to make the winter. Typically these animals are fairly skittish and run at the slightest hint of danger.

He was standing in an open patch of grass. The idea was to drive up close, shoot him in the head, gut and load him, and then get on with the rest of the hunt. Everything went to plan, and he dropped at the shot. Leaving all the guns in the car the three of us walked up to him. About 5 yards away he jumped up spun around a couple of times, obviously dazed, saw us, put his horns down and came at us.

A friend grabbed his horns, and I tackled him from the side, bringing him down, holding his legs. Out came a couple of blunt knives, and his throat was eventually cut. After a minute or two, he stopped struggling and we stood up. No sooner had we stood than he jumped up again and came straight for us. The whole procedure was again enacted. Everyone piling on top until he eventually bled out.

Needless to say I was covered from top to toe in blood. The wife sure got a scare when I walked into the house. I have a new found respect for small antelope. Most die at the most marginal of shots, a few others have a lot of heart, and don't know when to give up.

By the way. The head shot just grazed him, knocking him down.

Paul
Old 10-31-2006, 02:39 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Kirby ,

Yes , I have seen this on a whitetail doe . Same everything as your exp. There is a place that is a bit too high and a bit too low . You found that place and I have as well .

Enough energy to shock the animal and put it down , but as the cross section ( of the animal ) is getting smaller rapidly up there I think the bullet does not have sufficient time nor encounters sufficient mass to expand enought to do terminal damage to the spine .

Just my 1 cents worth , Jim B.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just as Jim said...I too have seen this happen on at least three whitetail doe. My grandfather gets a little excited when a shot oppurtunity is presented and will sometime pull the shot a little high. On the those three instances, each deer dropped like a rock, flopped a little and lay there. When he approached to close range, each deer jumped up. looked around and took off like it had a jet tied to its arse while leaving a very scant blood trail (if any at all).
Old 10-31-2006, 04:53 AM
Gold Member

Re: Witnessed something very strange today, still mystified over this.

I have seen some very tenacious white tails down here. I shot an old buck one year that didn't have much of a rack and was about at the end of the line. He came down a hill straight to me and I really didn't decide to shoot till he got right on top of me, thinking he was a young deer. Well as he passed me I simply put the round right at the base of his head and shot. Needless to say the 243 I was using did a decent number on the neck bones and such. When he hit the ground his feet were pointing one way and his head was looking the other. I waited a while then heard my Uncle coming around on the other side of the wood patch, so I got up and dragged him out to the edge of the woods to be loaded up. Well a few minutes later, I heard something and turned around to find him up on his hind legs trying to get his front end under him. I was completely amazed to say the least. I cut the juglars and held him down till it was over for good. After that I decided that bullet are much eaiser and quicker.

We also had to help another hunter find a buck one year behind our place. After hitting the trail we did end up finding him and he was still alive and tried to get up. The fellow had shot the thing some 3/4 of a mile back through the woods from us, and he went about that much more from where we started in on his trail. The shot was with a 257 Wetherby at about 50 yds using 100gr Partitions, and for the most part took out the top of the lungs and a small portion of the heart. When we dressed it out there was almost no blood in the cavity, and the meat was so pale it was weird looking. Still don't know how the deer made it that far, nor why it was still going when we found it. Just glad we found it as it was a great 10 point.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 10-31-2006, 09:40 AM
SPONSOR

I was hunting wiht a buddy one time when he thumped a doe at 40yds with a 50cal muzzleloader and the 250gr Barnes Expander bullets. she dropped to the shot and then took off into the brush. we were both amazed as the shot looked great but we took off after her and found her hiding in a cedar tree. The next shot she took was with the muzzle 2 feet from her and she still took off and ran straight up a steep hill, Yes we do have hills in Oklahoma. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

After skinning her we found the first shot had shattered 3 vertebrae and lodged itself inbetween two more vertebrae, how she was able to stand I have no idea. Tough old broad and she wasnt done yet, when we were putting her in the truck she slipped and flipped over giving my buddy a mouth full of stomach blood!!! he was sick for the next week!!!

Sometimes those old girls just dont wanna give up the ghost

good shooting
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 10-31-2006, 09:45 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Witnessed something very strange today, still mystified over this.

The buck that I took at 618 yards this year did pretty much the same thing. 168g VLD impacted about 4" above the shoulder. Funny thing is, that buck ran about 50-75 yards and was still very alive. I had to finish it in the neck as well. I dont see how that buck went anywhere with that shot placement. Upon skinning, my entrance was indeeed high above the shoulder, the exit was about 2" in diameter above the shoulder. This should have anchored the buck IMO, but it didn't. Must have been one tough little buck is all I got to say.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:34 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Thanks for all your replies, glad to hear I am not the only one nearly dispatched by a "dead" big game animal!!!

The knife, well, it never left my hand. I had a pretty good grip on it as I was expecting some movement, just not the hind legs coming up and whisping by my ear!!!

I think I will stick to rifles instead of knives. I think I am more comfortable being more then an inch or two away from big game animals when I try to talk them into giving up the ghost!!

Speaking of ghost, happy Halloween!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-31-2006, 12:23 PM
Silver Member

similar thing happened to my father & i years ago. he had just put a buck down hard. tumbleing end over end to the bottom of the ravine we were pushing, getting wrapped up in a cedar tree on the way down. upon getting to the deer he handed me his rifle (i was too young to hunt at the time) so he could start the cleaning process. no sooner had he touched the buck on the chest and, "flying hooves aplenty!" knocked his hat off. i hurriedly chaimbered a round and put it in its head before it could get out of the tangle... my first deer [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] at the autopsy [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]it was later revealed that the shot had duplicated yours exactly. should have been plenty of damage to kill him at the very least shut his nervous system down but, wow was that ever a surprise. for now on every animal that is "dead" gets a few stones tossed its way first!

www.jglezos@aol.com