Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

...the wind...IS very humbling....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 02:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: ...the wind...IS very humbling....

THANK YOU BOSS HOSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That was amazingly accurate information! I feel like I just found a goldmine with that chart. Im gonna talk yo my wife to see if she can help me figure out how to down load this! I want it posted above my loading bench, in my bathroom, in my bedroom, in my Jeep, and in my pickup! I just cant ever seem to get enough of L/R/H, and the amazing amount of things I can learn here! Members with a willingness to share information that to others (me) feel is priceless. Thanks again Hoss!

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 04-18-2010, 02:45 PM
Platinum Member

Edited...

Good thread on wind shooting. I've enjoyed the read.

-Mark

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 04-18-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:50 PM
Platinum Member

You are welcome-----I have hundreds of pages of articles that Speedy has given me over the years some are his some are from others that help me tremendously.

Case in point in 2006 when I won the Missouri IBS 1K Score State Championship was I the best shooter there??? No F-ing Way!!!!! The trick was the wind and judging it. A front came through that morning in September and the wind was 15 to 30 all day from the North and Northwest. Most BR shooters bang their shots quickly for group and I am a score shooter so most of the time I am the last guy shooting on the relay. Why------- I watch conditions.

Many other things factor into this but if you cannot win even if you have a rifle that will put 10 shots into 1 hole at 1k in no wind---because the wind is always a factor..... Most neophytes completely underestimate the critical skill of judging condition especially the importance of knowing how to judge the applicability of a 6 o'clock at your back, a 8 o'clock at 600 and 7 o'clock at the target.

Last edited by Boss Hoss; 04-18-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:49 PM
Silver Member

Boss,

Anyway to get that in a printable form?

Thanks

Tom
Old 04-19-2010, 05:07 PM
Silver Member

Agreed, a PDF of that would be great.

Southpaw
Old 04-19-2010, 05:45 PM
Platinum Member

I just spent a whole day copying that down with a pencil on 4 pages of paper, and then using the formula, and made my own approximated wind drift correction chart for full value winds from 5.10.15.20.&25mph from 100-1000yds. If I could print it out I would, but I dont know how, so I squinted ALOT, and copied word for word and pic for pic everything I could make out. I can deffinately see the advantage of being computer litterate about now. But at least I coppied down that ''goldmine'' of info, so I can put it to use.
Thats Awesome info to study, and the formula is so simple to use, when you get your mind around the concept of full, half, and 0 value wind, and the change in p.o.i. wind causes. Im freakin thrilled just to squint and copy it with a pencil!

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 04-19-2010, 07:19 PM
Platinum Member

PM me-----will send the files.......... No problem...

Dave