Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

...the wind...IS very humbling....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2010, 08:45 PM
Silver Member

Caliber = 6.5WSSM
Loading = 140 gr. Berger VLD, 44.6 gr. RL17
Velocity = 3,030 fps
Shot Distance = 652 yards
Clicks [1/8"@100 yrds] = 99.2
Wind = North by Northwest 10 -12 mph with gust to 18mph

...I had bought this 8" AR500 steel plate from ebay last winter...finally got around to making a frame at work.

Today, was my first opportunity to "shoot the steel".

I checked my chart and at 650 yards, a 10mph crosswind would require 21.9" of windage. I was hesistant on "dialing" the windage so I decided to "hold off".

I was shooting due East, with the wind coming from my left and crossing from behind my left shoulder at times. First shot I held off what I guessed to be 16"....since I knew the steel plate was 8" in diameter.

First shot was HIGH and to the RIGHT. I reduced the number of clicks from 99 to 90. I forgot that my shot was NOT on perfectly level ground...I was about 150' higher than my target.

Second shot had perfect elevation but was still right.

Third shot..I held what I guessed at 24"...the wind started blowing harder and appeared to be more from my left than quartering from behind me....

BAM...........GONG..........a HIT!!

I tried to quickly load a 4th round.....got my sight picture....held again 24" to the left............just when I was squeezing...

..the wind died............BAM...........MISS........I hit about 12" to the left of the gong....

5th shot....I held about 20" to the left.........

BAM...........GONG..........another HIT!!

6th and 7th shots were "near" misses...

All in all....I am somewhat satisfied.........first time I have attempted to shoot at this "extreme" range in my mind!!

as they say....practice makes perfect!!

btw....as the thread title says....

P.S.....I think I will modify my frame.....make it wider.....how I did not hit the frame is beyond me!!

Old 04-17-2010, 11:17 PM
Platinum Member

Re: ...the wind...IS very humbling....

Slick set up.
I got to thinkin I had ''the magic load'' impervious to wind etc. with my 270wsm. I got a bit cocky shootin 450yds. with a headwind (from around 11:00 position) holding the best groups of my life a couple weeks ago! Then last weekend I got a reality check...........
My buddy and I shot 500yds in a hard wind form the 9 and 10:00 position.
I GOT MY BUTT KICKED!!!!! My BEST group all day was 1 inch tall and 9 inches wide! I was very humbled to say the least, but I wasnt alone. My buddy had trouble too. both of us had multiple rounds OFF the paper even with wind flags. WOAH! Wake up call for sure. Wind would either be a ''calm'' 15-20mph constant or gusting hard enough to rock you around in a prone position! Shooting accross canyon with hard wind at the target Or on the shooter was difficult at best. We had fun getting our butts handed to us by the wind tho. Very humbeling, but fun.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 04-18-2010, 06:18 AM
Platinum Member

I like that set up. That is some heavy chain you have there. We use an R400 plate hung with chain on a re bar frame. Anyway, the wind is definitely a challenge. Nice grouping with the two that hit.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 04-18-2010, 08:51 AM
Gold Member

Your Right!

I walked a shot to a deer last season using spotter shots, just wanted to demonstrate the method to a newbie buddy. Here's how it went

7mm Allen Mag/160 accubond at 3575 fps

deer was ranged at 1210 yards, had a 4mph L/R wind, shooting acrossed a hollow that had L/R wind variable from 12-15 mph, 2 nd half of the bullet path had R/L wind about 6 mph.
first shot missed my spotter target by 4 MOA, dialed 4 moa more L, 2nd shot was 2 MOA L, finaly hit spotter taget on the 4th shot, but didn't take the killing shot, the newbie was watchin the impacts as I called corrections, I asked after the 4th shot what happens the next shot, he said without a doubt that deer will die, so didn't need to kill it.
RR
Old 04-18-2010, 12:00 PM
Platinum Member

Learn to use it and the wind is your friend---read, study, remember and use then you will win:

Old 04-18-2010, 12:19 PM
Silver Member

..great read!

looks like their website is no more...Refreshing to welcome page...
Old 04-18-2010, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member

No Speedy is in Trinidad State now running the 3rd year GS program. Talk to him frequently matter of fact just hung up with him..

He is not only one of the best shooters on the planet but builds some of the most accurate rifles as well. My safe is fortunate to have many of his rifles residing in it..