Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Which Wind to use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2009, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Which Wind to use?

You can get a good used Dell for about $50-$60 bucks and then, with the software, you'd be in business.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:51 PM
Gold Member

Silly question for ya... since I can't actually measure the wind down range at the different zones... how accurate can you really get with that part of the program? Not questioning the technical aspects of the program or anything like that, but have you used that part successfully in the field i.e. 'hmmm... 12 mph @ 8 o'clock here at the muzzle, looks like a little more, maybe 15-16 full-value @ mid-range, and almost nothing moving down at the target'? That stuff is hard enough for me to keep track of in my head, trying to keep track of it in a timely fashion on a PDA seems like a full-time job (for the spotter/gun-bearer )

Seems like one heckuva a 'what-if' program (which I love!) but not sure I want to deal with another M$-Windoze based pda after my encounter with a 'smart' phone loaded with their stuff... although I've heard lots of good things about the Dell Axims... maybe on the laptop though?

Last edited by milanuk; 08-14-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Platinum Member

Dicks already answered this question pretty well, but dittos on his wind comments. While the bullet is moving slower at the target, it's also losing velocity at a much lower rate than it does at the muzzle (lag time), and this goes into the equation. Yes, you need to be aware of what the wind is doing across the entire range, but it's the conditions closest to the shooter that are critical, as Dick explained. Another poster mentioned tricks that terrain can play, and I'd second that as well. Usually, these sort of features result in some very flukey shots. On Ft. Campbell, our sniper range was cut through a very heavily wooded section, downhill into a valley. The trees were split by a couple open areas that frequently caught crosswinds, caused odd swirls and eddies, that sort of thing. Failure to watch those winds very closely gave some odd shots indeed.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:49 PM
Platinum Member

Practice, practice and then more practice some more. Good glass helps a lot and being lucky enough to have vegitation in the area that will let you try and read the wind. Keep notes as to how much certain vegitation moves under which wind conditions. Keep notes if you hunt certain canyons and windy areas as to how the wind typically blows and how it affects your shots. Practice reading, and learn to read, the boil during hot weather. It all helps

Remember that wind in canyon country can also effect the drop of the bullet. Check out the Home Page as there are a couple of good articles there on wind reading. Shawn explains it pretty well and if you don't have it, you should get his DVD as he explains wind reading very well.

Oh yeah, practice, practice and then find a windier area and practice some more otherwise I'd suggest that if the winds blowing, you should not take any longer shots at anything other than targets, steel and rocks.