Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Is it the Wind or Something I'm Doing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Silver Member

Re: Is it the Wind or Something I'm Doing?

Yes I adjusted for parallax.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:47 PM
Platinum Member

You'll save yourself a lot of time and frustration if you get a scope level that attaches to your scope. I played this game just how your playing it, Went I finally broke down and got the Vortex scope level it all stopped, except for the rifles I don't have a scope level on, I still do it with those but atleast I know now what and why.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 01-23-2013, 02:23 PM
Bronze Member

Which way are you dialing for a left to right wind on the windage turret? I have watched countless guys dial with windage turret the same direction that the wind was blowing, thus exasterbating the wind. There are a hundred things that shooters do wrong during the course of shooting. Several of them are responsible for impacts being to the right of center with a right hand shooter. Good luck.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:30 PM
Bronze Member

Which way are you dialing for a left to right wind on the windage turret? I have watched countless guys dial with windage turret the same direction that the wind was blowing, thus exasterbating the wind. There are a hundred things that shooters do wrong during the course of shooting. Several of them are responsible for impacts being to the right of center with a right hand shooter. Good luck.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azprc View Post
What are the issues that pull the groups right with a right hand shooter?

Truthfully I thought I had fixed my pull to the right when I changed my trigger squeeze and grip. On my 308 my right pull stopped. But this is the first time shooting the .243 with my new trigger control method. Maybe I need to come up with something else with this gun.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:22 PM
Silver Member

The more I sit and ponder this I think I should just zero the gun at 300. Since testing at 100 yards using the exact same technique/shooting form, and doing the vertical line test at 0, +10, +20 and +30 inches of elevation and the groups stayed on the line. Could this be the 95 gr Berger not being settled in at 100 yards??

I'm burning/waisting lots bullets and powder when they are hard to come by these days.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:31 AM
Gold Member

Try wind flags. There is a lot going on in the bullet path where I shoot. Frustrating...you bet!!!