Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Is it the Wind or Something I'm Doing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 07:15 AM
Silver Member

Re: Is it the Wind or Something I'm Doing?

The scope is the only thing that has to be vertical. The cant of the gun matters very little as long as the scope remains vertical and point of impact changes will not be discernable at all to most shooters. That said, the scope must be vertical as possible, each degree of SCOPE cant will move POI about 3 inches at 1000 yards. Spin drift will be about 8 to 10 inches at 1000 yards. It takes a very accurate rifle and a very good shooter to discern these variables at long distances. That is why the 100 yard vertical test is so important. Anyone who says the gun must be perfectly verticle with the scope has never seen Dave Tubbs guns! Some scopes are several degrees out of vertical, even when the cross hair is perfectly alligned with the vertical line drawn on the target. It is due to construction errors or tolerances at the factory. Just about every person I know that looks through a vertical gun and scope for the first time will say that it is crooked! Everyone has a "comfortable" way they hold their gun. The best way to level the scope is while the shooter is holding the gun in a comfortable position. Before anyone out there trys to discredit this, go try it . Rotate a scope 10 or 15 degrees and shoot a vertical group with the scope held vertical. I've done it. It works! As for the wind. keep practicing!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:11 AM
Silver Member

Rifle cant? 6" at 300 yards? That would be tilting the gun 30 degrees or so.

I would leave that windage knob alone for a little while, and just hold for wind along the horizontal crosshairs.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:18 AM
Silver Member

Just tried 3 more shots from a rock rest and had the same result. Then 3 from a bi pod and the group was not as far right and tighter. I'm about to try 3 prone.

BTW no wind this morning.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:31 AM
Silver Member

Prone was the best, actually was center of the point of aim. So I guess this tells me that I suffer from technique problems??
Old 01-23-2013, 11:36 AM
Silver Member

I'm just lost!! Not sure what's going on here. I realize that I do have something going on with my form, as I tend to hit a little to the right with my 308 as well, but why am I dead center at 100 and then to the right at 200 and 300? The Tall Test eliminated scope alignment and cant I use a level on my top turret to verify that I'm shooting level.

Please look at the target and tell me your thoughts. It's at 300 yards and the one to the far right was a fouling cold bore shot. I had some oil left in the bore. I piled most of them together but 2 are at the point of aim.

When shooting at 300 yards the last 100 yard of bullet flight travels through a narrow lane of tall pines. Could this affect anything? I don't think so, but I thought I'd toss it out there.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:11 PM
Silver Member

I like my POI set about 1/2" left at 200 yards for a left to right twist. Opposite for right to left twist. I would wait for a day with NO wind and attach a level to eliminate cant. Then try it at 300 without adjusting the windage and see where it lands. Nothing is as frustrating as the wind.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:18 PM
Silver Member

Did you dial out parallax?