Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Wind Reading Book?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 09:10 PM

Wind Reading Book?

Hi guys,

I would like to learn more about wind reading techniques, especially as it pertains to long-range shooting. Has anyone read any good books on the topic? So far I've read some reviews on Wind Reading for Rifle Shooters and Maj. Plaster's Ultimate Sniper books...I just don't want to spend money on a book that doesn't teach me anything about wind reading and wanted to know if there was a definitive text on the matter. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Wind Reading Book?

I've got several DVDs by Tubbs, Holland, and others. They're all worth watching.

There have been good articles on this website and others as well.

Some of the most informative info I've run across have been the discussions of BCs in these forums with experts like Bryan Litz.

Ultimately though, you have to go out and practice a lot and take copious notes. Otherwise, you might as well watch and study The Matrix.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Bronze Member

You would do much better to shoot 600 yard high power matches. Either prone (iron sights and reading the wind in a spotting scope) or F-Class (reading the wind in a spotting scope or rifle scope of adequate power). Looking at actual conditions on the range and how they effect the bullet will give you a much better idea, then reading about it. IMHO

Good luck

Jerry

Jerry
Old 08-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry M View Post
You would do much better to shoot 600 yard high power matches. Either prone (iron sights and reading the wind in a spotting scope) or F-Class (reading the wind in a spotting scope or rifle scope of adequate power). Looking at actual conditions on the range and how they effect the bullet will give you a much better idea, then reading about it. IMHO

Good luck

Jerry
Yes. But... it's both art and science.

Understanding exterior ballistics and how the wind and other conditions affect your bullet in flight is an important first step. Check out "Applied Ballistics" by Bryan Litz.

Then, practicing reading the conditions is where it all comes together.