Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Wind Advice - can you help?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2006, 06:34 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Wind Advice - can you help?

[ QUOTE ]
There is a lot of controversy about which part of the wind is most important, whether the greater angular dispersion at the muzzle will affect bullet flight more than wind at the target, which is now working on a slower moving bullet. . . no one of authority can seem to agree.

[/ QUOTE ]The wind closest to the shooter is the most important. All the coaches on long range rifle teams around the world know that. Other top competitors at long range know that, too. Some long range hunters know this: see below:

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...part=1&vc=1

It's easy to see what wind has the most effect by using ballistic software showing wind drift, plotting the wind drift curve as a graph, then laying a straight edge tangent to any point on that drift curve. It's then easy to see there's about three times as much wind drift distance caused by a given wind across only the first third of the bullet's flight as there is for only the last third.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:46 PM
Silver Member

Different opions allowed? Coaches at highpower may "know" that concept but winners ( note I did not say shooters) at 1,000 yd br have the opinions I posted prior to yours.
What ever works is key which is why I use Horus on the important rifles as the combo of large Vias brake and the ability to locate the "miss" for the second shot hit is a given. Overbore ps do a search on Benchrest central forums-- this is where the LR accuracy folks post.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:10 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Different opions allowed? Coaches at highpower may "know" that concept but winners ( note I did not say shooters) at 1,000 yd br have the opinions I posted prior to yours.

[/ QUOTE ]Opinion's are plentiful and I respect yours. And long range highpower competition rifles are just as accurate as benchrest rifles but few folks know this. There's winners in every shooting discipline including highpower competition. But only one fact about wind over long ranges.

Of course bullets drift from wind more at lower velocities than higher ones. But folks usually forget (or don't realize) that the direction a bullet's traveling after the first third of the range where wind is makes it strike further from the aiming point than if the same wind speed was only in the last third.