Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

winchester VS rem. actions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2003, 12:02 PM
daveosok

Re: winchester VS rem. actions

Only reason I can see for rem 700 actions is they are round and the win are flat bottomed.
All you need for a rem action is a four jaw chuck and it only takes a few minutes to indicate in. The win actions of course can also be indicated in a four jaw but since its a non symetrical action would take a little longer.
I think both are well designed actions and either will work for whatever purpose you decide you need, except for case size in different actions.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:05 PM
Silver Member

use a SAVAGE hard to find better action for the price , thread diameter is big action lenght is able to hold longer cartridge

Old REM 700 are OK newest are very poor in quality

Win 70 is only 1 inch in barrel thread diameter and lock time is not th espeedof the light but that can make nice rifle is you stay in reasonable caliber AFTER BLUE PRINTING of course

good shooting

DAN TEC
Old 10-15-2003, 12:26 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> Old REM 700 are OK newest are very poor in quality <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you have any evidence of them being "poor" in quality.

Please post a link/source.

Thanks, Al.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

I prefer 700's because of their inherent accuracy quality. Yes they can be sloppy in regard to all the tooling marks ect... and their triggers suck, but of any other factory action, they sure can be made to clean up nice without alot of trouble. Yes they should be that way from the start, but thats why we also have custom actions.

Accuracy all the way
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:16 PM
Silver Member

Caesars727, My new Remmy is very rough compared to my old ones. The face of the bolt is very rough, also.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:33 PM
Silver Member

winchester VS rem. actions

Why do most people prefer to use the mod700 remington over the win mod 70. for long range shooting? Is there a big difference? The reason I am asking is that I have a mod 70 now and am planning on having a custom gun built next year.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:02 PM
Silver Member

Ceasars727

Check out the Equipment Review section from last April.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/cgi-...c&f=7&t=000118

It seems the Big Green has been sitting on their laurals as the quality goes down hill. Shame too, I've always liked them.

Rick