Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Will Leupold's customized CDS turrets work at any magnification?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 07:24 PM

Will Leupold's customized CDS turrets work at any magnification?

Since VX3 scopes are SFP, do the customized turrets work at any magnification? I know that the CDS turrets by themselves would only work at one magnification, unless you knew how to make a correction for each power of your scope. But I want to know if you need to be at a certain magnification in order for the customized turrets to work. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Silver Member

Re: Will Leupold's customized CDS turrets work at any magnification?

Your Turrets move the same at every power with every scope i've ever had
Old 01-08-2011, 07:31 PM

I know they move the same. I want to know if the customized correction that Leupold etches onto the turrets would apply at any magnification. So if I see an elk at 450 yards, and my scope is at 6 power, I dial the turrets for 450 yards. If I see another elk at 650 yards, and my scope is at 10 power, can I then dial the turrets for 650 yards, or will the correction be different? Does it matter what magnification your scope is on when using the customized CDS system?
Old 01-08-2011, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member

As long as you are not using a ballistic type reticule that requires a specified power setting for accurate ranging and sighting, your turrets will move exactly to the proper MOA corresponding to your drops at any power. Should there be a ballistic reticule etched into the glass, then you will need to know exactly what power Leupold specifies for ranging.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Platinum Member

the short answer is YES they will work on any power. i've always wondered since you get 2 sets of dials, is the first one a regular dial with moa markings? then you can get a second that's customized to your specs? how many moa are there in one revolution?
Old 01-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewilson View Post
the short answer is YES they will work on any power. i've always wondered since you get 2 sets of dials, is the first one a regular dial with moa markings? then you can get a second that's customized to your specs? how many moa are there in one revolution?
15 MOA in one turn of the turret.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:26 AM
Silver Member

There is 15 MOA per revolution. I have include a picture of the standard turret (left), and a custom one I had made from Leupold. They engraved the turret with two rows of numbers, and took out the detent ball that would normally limit the turret to one turn. They will also engrave a turret to match your ballistics for a particular set of conditions. I had one engraved for a 7mm 160 gr Accubond, 2925 FPS, 35 F, 7000 feet.