Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Will a coyote jump a fence?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 06:19 PM
Gold Member

Will a coyote jump a fence?

I have been doing some scouting and found a spot where for 3 nights in a row i have heard probably 15 coyotes and a few groups of coyotes howling yipping and barking about half an hour after sun down.

My question is, they are all on military property and i do not have access to it. it is fenced off with that 4 inch square "chicken" wire fence that is about 4 feet tall. Will they jump the fence to come to my call?
Old 09-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Silver Member

Re: Will a coyote jump a fence?

interesting....barbed wire I figure they would go through, instead of over. Im sure they could jump if they wanted to.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Bronze Member

They will climb wire fences to get to your chickens!
Old 09-05-2012, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

I find them hanging in my snares all the time from the top wire, usually they will dig under for normal travel but they can easily jump that.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 09-05-2012, 07:42 PM
Silver Member

Coyotes have a really bad habit of getting shot on one side of the fence then dying on the other side.

Back to your original question, a four ft web wire fence is not coyote proof, they can easily climb over it if they so desire, generally they have numerous places they can crawl under.

I have an old Bluetick hound that has climbed over fences bordering the Indian Nations Turnpike and Interstate 44 while tracking bad guys. Those fences are web wire five feet tall with three barbed wires above that. I also have a little Black and Tan bitch that can climb a six ft Preifert dog panel. These are six ft tall and have 2 in by 4 webs.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezenhope View Post
They will climb wire fences to get to your chickens!
My neighbor will vouch to the above statement.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

My experience with calling them through woven wire (that's what we Wyoming cattle ranchers call those types of fence) is that they will come, and I am sure they could jump it if they were really ambitious, but IME they will follow the fence until they find a hole that's been dug under it and then come through that.

This is what makes snaring them under such fences so effective......especially if said fence borders a high prey population like a prarie dog town as an example.

In my opinion, the person who sets a snare on such fence should have the permission of parties on Both sides of said fence, but I don't know that is actually a law.

Back to calling them across that fence. IME, it takes longer than expected for them to get to the gun, because they don't necessarily come in on a strait line. They may follow the fence for a 1/4 to 1/2 mile to find a crossing and then come toward the call from a different direction than last spotted or heard.

Watch both directions and be patient. Set up 200-300 yds from said fence if possible in open country, to reduce the odds of them coming in from behind you.

Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Will a coyote jump a fence?-250-yd-summer-coyote-204.jpg