Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

will a 7mm work for me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2011, 10:24 PM
Silver Member

Re: will a 7mm work for me?

For sure!

I was just glad that shot placement had finally entered into the discussion
Old 10-29-2011, 11:10 PM
Silver Member

I have no experience with brown bears and will not relay anything I do not know from being present or an extremely reliable source.
My dad took a canadian moose with a 7STW @ over 600 yards with 160 grn accubonds.
A couple weeks ago he took a shiras moose (smaller cousin) at 50 yards with a 338 win mag and 210 grn accubond. The STW was a bang flop. The 338 took a second to realize he was dead. But he was just the same. We have killed black bear and elk with both rifles from 200 to 600+

Either is capable.if all goes as planned. Either can be lacking, if it does not. Get a repeater in the largest caliber you are comfortable with. Take only shots you are confident in. With elk, black bear, moose, all the truly big game we hunt, we Shoot Until They Stay Down.

Does Alaska not have a .30 cal and up rule for the big stuff?

The proper use of a Pistol is to fight your way back to where you left your Rifle.

The best gun to have? ... The one in your hand when the fight starts!

Respect All - Fear None
Old 10-30-2011, 02:49 AM
Silver Member

Initially, I wasn't going to engage this discussion because for the pure, simple fact that the only thing i've hunted are whitetails. While occasionally tenacious, they lack teeth, claws and at least 300lbs to be anywhere near what revvystroke asked about.

Also, as is always a primary consideration, not much replaces good shot placement - at least until we get into 20mm and larger

Further, excellent bullet choice must also be a primary consideration as well as enough HP to get the job done.

Given the question about 7mm being enough, it makes perfectly good sense to me that anything thats big and powerful w/claws and teeth is on the list for a one-rifle battery, a minimum is going to be .338 cal.

I don't care that a 7mm *can* do the job on these big critters (and i really, really like the 7mm caliber, but for light-ish skinned/non-'dense' animals). I want something that will flat-out knock that bear on his ear - no questions or reservations. If it will knock the stuffing out of a big bear, then it will certainly have enough juice for a moose.

To me, as i've beening planning/re-planning my own battery, a 7mm RM is definitely a primary in my line-up (despite some other excellent high-power 7mm's). However, if/ when i ever get a chance for larger game (thinking specifically big bears), then a big .338 must be added. I'd probably go with a 338RUM since factory ammo should be reasonable to locate if my handloads got lost.

Also, range does come into account to the extent that rifle form inhibits the type of hunting. Its hard handling a (scoped) long-range rifle in thick, dark foliage. If that terrain were my hunting area then a shorter rifle would be on the list .45-70 Marlin lever-gun with heavy loading or a .375 Ruger Alaskan. Something that, in close-quarters, will *really* put the advantange in my court.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:00 AM
Gold Member

Wildrose,

Body weight has nothing to do with toughness and for all the Moose I have seen shot they donít seem to take up much lead at all. My uncle shot his with a 38 Special at 50 yards and it was a bang flop type of deal. Figure that energy out at 50 yards with 157gr bullet. Now that is one example I know but a friend of mine dropped one in his tracks with a bow and arrow? I have seen Elk take hits with some big calibers at long and short range and not even flinch and walk away to be found dead. Another guy I worked with shot a Moose at 300 + yards with a 7mm mag and cheap federal factory ammo and that Moose folded up like a house of cards. So in my experience Moose do not seem very hard to kill and I sure would not worry about a 7mm mag being too small on one at long range.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:26 AM
Silver Member

I was thinking the 7 mag was overkill.

Quote:
I don't know him. I've never seen him shoot, I have no reference point to make a determination that he can place the shot perfectly. I know that at ranges beyond 600yds 99% of hunters will be incapale of placing the shot perfectly or reliably, much less repeatedly.

Thus particularly since we're talking about large, dangerous, and hard to kill bears, I'm not going to suggest using something I consider to have the bare (no pun intended) minimum energy on target to produce a fatal wound.

In the same sort of situation I flat wouldn't pull the trigger unless I had very high confidence of placing the shot perfectly but I know few people have that kind of discipline.

I'm just not going to recommend something to a stranger that could very well get them killed.
I would think your advise should be "Don't hunt bears"! or no advise at all. Not good sending an inexperienced shooter out after brown bears with a howitzer in a shoulder fire configuration. A bear would make short work of someone who nick it in the butt then just laid there on the ground with a concussion and dislocated shoulder.

Bear minimum would be a few good dogs and a spear.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucknbach View Post
I was thinking the 7 mag was overkill.

I would think your advise should be "Don't hunt bears"! or no advise at all. Not good sending an inexperienced shooter out after brown bears with a howitzer in a shoulder fire configuration. A bear would make short work of someone who nick it in the butt then just laid there on the ground with a concussion and dislocated shoulder.

Bear minimum would be a few good dogs and a spear.
If I thought he was an inexperienced shooter I'd not encourage him to go hunting alone for anything.

From his OP he's obviously however not inexperienced.

Feel free to go hunting big brown bears with a spear and your dogs but I'd encourage you to make sure your affairs are in order and your Life Insurance paid up first.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakor View Post
Wildrose,

Body weight has nothing to do with toughness and for all the Moose I have seen shot they donít seem to take up much lead at all. My uncle shot his with a 38 Special at 50 yards and it was a bang flop type of deal. Figure that energy out at 50 yards with 157gr bullet. Now that is one example I know but a friend of mine dropped one in his tracks with a bow and arrow? I have seen Elk take hits with some big calibers at long and short range and not even flinch and walk away to be found dead. Another guy I worked with shot a Moose at 300 + yards with a 7mm mag and cheap federal factory ammo and that Moose folded up like a house of cards. So in my experience Moose do not seem very hard to kill and I sure would not worry about a 7mm mag being too small on one at long range.
Body mass has everything to do with proper caliber and bullet selection. It takes a given amount of energy for a projectile to pass through a given amount of tissue.

There's a reason bullet makers spend millions developing bullets that can reliably perform on dense thick bodied game.

You can kill a Grizzly Bear or even a Rino with a spear IF you can put it in exactly the right spot.

In reality however those golden BB shots don't happen every day and as a result lots of game goes wasted. Of course in the case of large Grizzly Bears, there's also a good chance that the wounded bear will get up and eat you if you approach too soon.

I've shot 500lbs plus hogs with a Ruger .204 because I knew I could place the shot exactly correctly. I've also seen big hogs shot with a 7mm Mag or .300wm shot broadside run more than a half mile and still have plenty of fight left in them when we got there.

Being able to reliably, repeatedly and consistently put the required amount of energy and penetration on the right spot is indeed the key to success especially when were are talking long range hunting.