Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

will a 7mm work for me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2011, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member

Re: will a 7mm work for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucknbach View Post
Friends don't let friends develop canonitis.
Can I add this to my signature?

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 10-29-2011, 06:05 PM
Silver Member

Coming from the UK I have never hunted bears, however I have seen many in the zoo and they are huge mammals with massive teeth and claws which could rip your average hunter apart in seconds.

With that in mind if I were lucky enough to hunt these creatures one day I would want to know the rifle I have in my hands was well capable of dispatching the animal whether I got a good shot in or a not so good shot in.

I don't think you can be over gunned if hunting for something that can fight back and maybe eat you !!!

Maybe I am wrong here but as a completely inexperienced bear hunter a .338 Lap Mag with 300grain bullets and 5000ft/lb sounds a good starting point to me.

I am with Liltank, I don't want to find myself in a fair fight with a bear, I just want to smoke his ass !!!

Last edited by robbobsam; 10-29-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucknbach View Post
A brown bear is only dangerous within paws reach. A 7mag has plenty at that range.

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis.
By all means feel free to hunt them with it.

Me, I'll stick to my .300 Rum and 45/70. When it comes to shooting things that can get back up and eat me overkill is a good thing.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:26 PM
Gold Member

It all depends on if you reload and what kind of recoil you can handle. John Burns rolled a grizzly up in Alaska with a 7mm of some sort and a 180 Berger over 600 yards on best of the west so it does work. If you donít think the 7mm will do the job I would not even bother with the 300 rum and look at a 338 of some kind or the 375 Ultra mag. I have never noticed any killing difference on whitetails and Elk with my 7mm mag, 300 wsm, 300 win, and 300 rum. I will say the 7mm STW with the 180 Berger does stand out in killing over the others I have just mentioned. If it was me and I was going to hunt the big bears at long range the 375 Ultra mag would probably be my choice loaded with 300gr Sierra SBTís or 300gr Nosler Accubonds for shooting 800 yards or less. If I was going to shoot farther then that I would look at some of the custom bullets like cutting edge bullets or the 350gr Sierra Matchking. Reading through the posts I would like to know what kind of Moose is walking around out there where a 7mm mag cannot kill them at long range? The 7mm mag works on Elk to 1000 yards or more and Elk seem to soak up lots of lead where a Moose seem to tip over a lot easier on a good hit.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakor View Post
It all depends on if you reload and what kind of recoil you can handle. John Burns rolled a grizzly up in Alaska with a 7mm of some sort and a 180 Berger over 600 yards on best of the west so it does work. If you donít think the 7mm will do the job I would not even bother with the 300 rum and look at a 338 of some kind or the 375 Ultra mag. I have never noticed any killing difference on whitetails and Elk with my 7mm mag, 300 wsm, 300 win, and 300 rum. I will say the 7mm STW with the 180 Berger does stand out in killing over the others I have just mentioned. If it was me and I was going to hunt the big bears at long range the 375 Ultra mag would probably be my choice loaded with 300gr Sierra SBTís or 300gr Nosler Accubonds for shooting 800 yards or less. If I was going to shoot farther then that I would look at some of the custom bullets like cutting edge bullets or the 350gr Sierra Matchking. Reading through the posts I would like to know what kind of Moose is walking around out there where a 7mm mag cannot kill them at long range? The 7mm mag works on Elk to 1000 yards or more and Elk seem to soak up lots of lead where a Moose seem to tip over a lot easier on a good hit.
Alaskan Moose can easily weigh twice what the average Elk in the lower 48 weighs. The 7mm Mag would not be my preferred weapon on them either beyond about 400-500yds.

Perfectly placed shots at long range are not the norm for about 95% of people who attempt it.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:12 PM
Silver Member

Wild Rose.....I was wondering when SHOT PLACEMENT was going to come into this....if ever. In my book, shot placement is EVERYTHING. What good is a giant magnum round like the 375 RUM, if you can't shoot it (without ANY flinch at all) due to the recoil?

Personally, I'd rather have that smaller caliber (in this case the 7mm) and place that first shot perfectly. If I have to place another, so be it. But I D@MN-SURE do not want a marginal hit on a "now ticked off" bear.

My point.......never attempt to shoot more gun at dangerous game than you can comfortably shoot at the range.

Now if he has plenty of money to burn on a good muzzle brake............that changes the game.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflyonthewall View Post
Wild Rose.....I was wondering when SHOT PLACEMENT was going to come into this....if ever. In my book, shot placement is EVERYTHING. What good is a giant magnum round like the 375 RUM, if you can't shoot it (without ANY flinch at all) due to the recoil?

Personally, I'd rather have that smaller caliber (in this case the 7mm) and place that first shot perfectly. If I have to place another, so be it. But I D@MN-SURE do not want a marginal hit on a "now ticked off" bear.

My point.......never attempt to shoot more gun at dangerous game than you can comfortably shoot at the range.

Now if he has plenty of money to burn on a good muzzle brake............that changes the game.
I don't know him. I've never seen him shoot, I have no reference point to make a determination that he can place the shot perfectly. I know that at ranges beyond 600yds 99% of hunters will be incapale of placing the shot perfectly or reliably, much less repeatedly.

Thus particularly since we're talking about large, dangerous, and hard to kill bears, I'm not going to suggest using something I consider to have the bare (no pun intended) minimum energy on target to produce a fatal wound.

In the same sort of situation I flat wouldn't pull the trigger unless I had very high confidence of placing the shot perfectly but I know few people have that kind of discipline.

I'm just not going to recommend something to a stranger that could very well get them killed.