Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

will a 7mm work for me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: will a 7mm work for me?

Not to stir the pot any, but I will add this for distraction purposes:

7WSM 180 Berger takes down two Grizzlies!

Both state one shots a piece for each bruin, but I'm not going to second guess you guys! ;)

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 10-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post

Tank

Not to stir the pot huh?! YEEAH RIGHT!
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 10-27-2011, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootkittens View Post
Not to stir the pot huh?! YEEAH RIGHT!
Well... I am in agreement with you, but don't tell anybody!

(Name left out for safety purposes!)
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 10-27-2011, 09:13 PM
Silver Member

shhhh You have said to much! No one ever agrees with me!

While I would be more comfy with the .30-06 while trampling in the woods around here in Va,(all kinds of scary spikes, jakes,and mosquitos wandering around!) I think if the guy wants to use a 7.. Why not?!
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 10-27-2011, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post

Both state one shots a piece for each bruin, but I'm not going to second guess you guys! ;)

Tank
Both were also killed at sub 500yds range.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootkittens View Post
Maybe our definition of long range is different then. He said 500 yards. I think a 7mm with the right bullets and shot placement is plenty for what he wants it to do...If its a guided hunt in the middle of the tundra, im sure the guide could get him closer to a brown bear. Everyone knows bear cant see for ****.
No in the OP he stated max of 600yds.

Minimum recommended energy on target for dangerous game is 2000-2,500ft/lbs.

The Rum runs out of acceptable energy then at about 600yds and the 7 Rem Mag runs out at around 425yds.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member

ishootkittens, youre absolutely right. A 7 Rem will work. If it was all I had I wouldnt hesitate to use it, mind you not a 600 yards, but I would use it.

liltank, I find you more and more not willing to pick a side! it puts a smile on my face every time though, keep it up! I believe that someone said that " if you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics suck." I feel that a 180 .284 cal berger vs. grizz would be a "sucky" tactic.

good thread guys!