Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Wich .300 magnum?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 02:46 AM
Silver Member

Wich .300 magnum?

I have been hunting with a Rem. 700 mountain rifle in a .270 win for years and am very happy with it. I hunt mule deer mostly and 300 yard shot are not uncommon. I actualy took a deer (believe it or not at 512 yards) with it a few years back. Though I am not really a proponent of long range hunting and think thats too far for most people to shoot. Long range hunting, unless people are good enough to shoot that far leads to a lot of game being injured in my opinion.
I am looking to step up to a 300 magnum. I am considering a 300WSM, 300 Win. mag, or maybe even a 300 RUM. Whats the pro's and con's of each round? I don't plan on shooting much over 300-400 yards and want a gun that is light enough with a short enough barrel to shoot free hand comfortably. I have a buddy with a 300 RUM in a Sendero and its a nice gun but just too big of a rifle for what I use it for. Also I don't really want to spend a thousand dollars on a gun.
What are your opinions on the rilfe/cartridge combination that I should go with? Any input would be greatly appreciated! thanks!
What do people think about that FN patrol rifle in a 300WSM with a 24" barrel? At 9lbs. it sounds a little heavy.

Last edited by huntokanogan; 03-07-2011 at 02:59 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:23 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Wich .300 magnum?

I'm not sure why you would want to move up from a 270 if thats all the farther you are planing to shoot. As far as killing power, you wont be gaining anything. Dead is dead. But since you asked, you cant go wrong with a Howa in 300 win mag. Good price, nice trigger, and not a bad stock if you get the one with the bedding block. As for the weight, you dont want a light magnum. I watch big ole boys shoot four or five rounds out of their light magnums then sit back rubbing their shoulders. They always ask how I can sit there and burn through 100 rounds in mine without flinching. Easy, my rifle weighs 16 lbs. If you get beat to death by a light rifle while sighting it in you WILL be thinking about it every time you pull the trigger. THAT leads to injured animals. Those of us who hunt at long range carry heavy rifles that are easy to shoot accuratelly. Get a magnum if you want, but if it starts to hurt after 10 or less shots, take the butt pad off and fill it with lead shot. You wont mind the extra weight.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:20 AM
Silver Member

If the furthest you will shoot is 400 yds. and the largest animal is Mule deer, then you already have the perfect rifle. No need whatsoever to step up to a 300 magnum. A 270 shooting a 140gr. Accubond will work just fine.
I shot a 270 for years and thought I needed more power so I went and bought a 300 WM. Not sure I ever noticed a difference in killing power. I did notice the difference in recoil and expense to shoot the 300 though. Mule deer aren't that hard to kill so no need for the extra power.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Silver Member

Appreciate the responses, though neither addressed any question I asked. I know there's no reason to move up from my .270 (which shoots best with 130 grn.) I've killed many deer, an elk and two bears with it. I'm always going to keep my beloved .270 and continue killing with it but here you go guys: The reason I'm making to move is simple....I want to! It's just time for a new gun to play with. thanks.
I dang sure don't want a 16 lb. rifle for hunting with, try making a free hand shot with that!

If anybody has any info on the rounds I asked about, make a post.

Last edited by huntokanogan; 03-07-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member

I do agree with the other fellas on here when they say that there is no NEED to move up, but theres no reason not to have a .30 cal too.
For your parmeters the 300 WSM would be my choice. you can use a shorter barrel and it is widely available in factory rifles and ammo. for your budget I would go with a Tikka T3 lite or the winchester M70 Extreme Weather. You get a much better stock on the M70, but no detachable mag. If it was me I would get the M70.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:05 PM
Gold Member

I'm pretty much in line with everyone else here... but if I was going to work on a lighter 24" rifle in .30 mag... I think I'd really go to the Remington .300 RSAUM which is nothing more than a fat 308 Win, capable of shooting in the same S/A actions. It's just a few “pfs” off the .300 WM in most bullet weights up to about 190gr's, in 24” inch barrels. And it's a cartridge I have some experience with shooing it in 1k matches over the years... As a hunting round in a shorter light weight rifle; it's a sleeper and much misunderstood.
Here I've added a thread for some back ground on the cartridge Tactical-Life.com » Remington’s 700P LTR .300 RSAUM

Last edited by 436; 03-07-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Gold Member

Though I am not really a proponent of long range hunting and think thats too far for most people to shoot. Long range hunting, unless people are good enough to shoot that far leads to a lot of game being injured in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

It all comes down to personal responsibility. If someone can't shoot 600 yds at a target then they have no business shooting at game at that distance. It's the same with all other forms of hunting. Just stay within your limits.

Also I don't really want to spend a thousand dollars on a gun.[/QUOTE]

As with everything else in life, you get what you pay for.

At 9lbs. it sounds a little heavy.[/QUOTE]

My custom 7SAUM weighs 15 lbs and I carry it anywhere I need to go. It's all what you are used to, the Eb-stock pack helps as well. Standing shots are very doable, if that's what you are into.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM