Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

wich 30. caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: wich 30. caliber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
You might want to read this thread, especially post #13

Rifle for Africa Plains Game
That's not just a problem in Africa. That's a problem for every guide and outfitter around the world that takes people out for large/dangerous game.

Guys tend to get cannonitis before their trips and shoot them just enough to be scared to death of the recoil before they leave for the hunt and then can't hit a damned thing when they get there.

Far better to stick with things like the 7mm Mag, 7mm STW, 300wm, 300wby, or 300Rum for most people.

Whatever you take on the trip be sure you have 100% confidence in not only for dependability, but in your ability to hit your POI every time.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:47 PM
Bronze Member

wildrose I agree with you 100% if I can't hit what Im aiming at for whatever reason I don't need to be shooting at anything and if it comes down to it that I can't handle the recoil without a break I'll add one planned on putting a deccelarator and one of the mercury or spring recoil reducers in the stock
Old 01-10-2013, 10:54 PM
Silver Member

A lot of good advise here , most of these guys on this site have been all over the world , and hunted almost everything that can be hunted !

Never been to,Africa but I would be sure to take enough gun for the job .
The practice ,practice , practice , practice , practice, did I say practice !

A gun no matter what caliber can miss a barn , if the shooter is not profishint with it

Just saying good luck in Africa !!
Old 01-10-2013, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEEWEE69 View Post
wildrose I agree with you 100% if I can't hit what Im aiming at for whatever reason I don't need to be shooting at anything and if it comes down to it that I can't handle the recoil without a break I'll add one planned on putting a deccelarator and one of the mercury or spring recoil reducers in the stock
Do yourself a big favor and put a good brake on it before you even get started.

Read the last few pages on the "Muzzle Brake on a 300wm" thread and you'll understand why.

Even my 7mm STW's and 300 Rum are sheer pleasure to shoot because they have good muzzle breaks on them.

Out of all the things you can do to help your actual shooting in the field to me the muzzle brake is probably number one since it will allow you to see your impacts at any range with the above choices of calibers. That will make you a better rifleman because you aren't guessing and it will improve your percentages on follow ups dramatically because you can see instantly whether or not you missed and if you did what you need to do to correct instantly allowing you to put your follow up on target in ten seconds or less.

The latter can be extremely critical shooting in any kind of terrain that is not completely flat or if there is any sort of brush or trees that a missed or wounded animal can disappear into.

We have a number of sponsors to this site including Jim See and Kirby who make very nice, very effective muzzle brakes and this one here is my personal favorite. It's not even too rough on the ears if you have to make a quick shot and don't have time or forget to put on your "ears".
Muzzle Brakes

This one came on a 7mm STW I recently purchased and it's the best MB overall I've ever used. I like it well enough that I'm going to put it on five other rifles I own already.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:26 PM

My 30-06 Ackley improved pushed 180 gr bullet at about 2950fps. Who needs more than that?
Old 01-11-2013, 01:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanbrady View Post
My 30-06 Ackley improved pushed 180 gr bullet at about 2950fps. Who needs more than that?
Someone who wants similar velocities at 200-400yds farther.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanbrady View Post
Somebody that thinks the best .30 caliber bullets are 200 grains and up.