Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

wich 30. caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: wich 30. caliber

You are looking for a rifle to hunt elk and "maybe" Africa Plains game if you get there. You're max range is going to be 800 yds. I'm guessing this isn't going to have a muzzle break as a safari rifle? Have you ever shot a string through one of these?

I am still voting for the 300 Win.
- Much better selection of brass for a better price, esp vs the WBYs
- Less recoil
- Much better selection of ammo, for a much better price, ALL over the world
- More than capable @ 800 yds

If you really want one of the others, get the 300 RUM, put a brake on it and hand load for it. If you go to Africa, get a $499 Wby Vanguard in 300 WBY and a few boxes of ammo.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 01-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
You are looking for a rifle to hunt elk and "maybe" Africa Plains game if you get there. You're max range is going to be 800 yds. I'm guessing this isn't going to have a muzzle break as a safari rifle? Have you ever shot a string through one of these?

I am still voting for the 300 Win.
- Much better selection of brass for a better price, esp vs the WBYs
- Less recoil
- Much better selection of ammo, for a much better price, ALL over the world
- More than capable @ 800 yds
MontanaRifleman, your points are spot on and more than valid.

But , but, but... it doesn't have the cool factor!! Unless you have laid next to one and watched it drop 19 big game animals out to 1285 yards all in the same season.

Jeff
Old 01-10-2013, 05:06 PM
Silver Member

a little nostalgia for an african gun makes me think of the 300 H&H for sure. maybe the improved case would be the way to go. bet you can get ammo there fairly easily for it. bob hagel would be happy to see the norma mag mentioned... but i think any 30 from 308 up would work, mags preferred tho
Old 01-10-2013, 07:38 PM
Bronze Member

well Im a speed freek I like pushing the biggest pill I can as fast as I can as accurately as I can
and this rifle will not have a brake on it I don't like them there ugly IMO
Old 01-10-2013, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member

You might want to read this thread, especially post #13

Rifle for Africa Plains Game

Quote:
The most imported part in my opinion is to have 200% faith in your caliber and shooting abilities. Most of the complaints that PH's has is that the clients comes with calibers that they cant shoot as they flinch and wound game and that end in a long day of tracking.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 01-10-2013, 09:07 PM

I have a Winchester model 70 Laredo that was a 300 win mag,and I rebarreled it in 300 Wby,mine has the boss system and I can change loads simply by changing the numbers on the boss.....I also ave the same in 257 Wby for white tails...all above 3500 ft. Range shooting very little because of the prescribed settings of the boss. The new baels are Hart match grade..very accurate. Model 70's are fine rifles especially with the claw-foot extractor.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buano View Post
Although I've never owned a RUM, I agree the .300 RUM is a hard round to beat. The only strong negative would be the risk that you couldn't buy ammunition on an African hunt.

That said, I believe I would jump to a .338 if I was considering anything with the case capacity of the RUM or .30-378. Either the .338 RUM or the .338-.378 Weatherby are phenomenal rounds that do more justice to the case capacity.
Not really a problem. Just follow the necessary regulations to ship a few boxes of ammo over well ahead of time and make sure they are in the outfitter's possession before you leave the US.

Also take the max number of rounds you are allowed to carry with you as per the laws where you are flying to.