Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Why shoot deer size game with a 280 over 7mm rem mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 04:22 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Why shoot deer size game with a 280 over 7mm rem mag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudrunner2005 View Post
plus, the saum's and wsm's really burn throats on barrels like the rum's do.

wrong!!!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 07-03-2013, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
wrong!!!!
Prove it....

If I'm wrong, I'll gladly admit it, but I have never heard anything but that they burn throats and are not easy on barrels.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Prove it....

If I'm wrong, I'll gladly admit it, but I have never heard anything but that they burn throats and are not easy on barrels.
I can prove it! The RUM holds 110+ grains of powder and the WSM holds around 80. SAUM around 74. They all have the same bore size and the neck lengths are similar, and in fact the saum has a longer neck. Shoulder angles are also close or the same. No more proof is needed. It isn't rocket science!......rich
Old 07-03-2013, 05:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
I can prove it! The RUM holds 110+ grains of powder and the WSM holds around 80. SAUM around 74. They all have the same bore size and the neck lengths are similar, and in fact the saum has a longer neck. Shoulder angles are also close or the same. No more proof is needed. It isn't rocket science!......rich
I'll hold true to my word....I guess I was wrong. I have just always heard that...

Thanks for the clarification Rich.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:40 PM
Silver Member

Bart Bobbitt posts from 20 years ago before the www had gun forums:

Rule 2. Increase bore capacity powder charge by:

100%, barrel life shortens 75%

50%, barrel life shortens 67%

25%, barrel life shortens 33%
Old 07-03-2013, 06:18 PM
Platinum Member

There is another rule that makes a lot of sense but doesn't take into account the lesser variables such as shoulder angle, neck length, powder temp, etc., and goes something like this. Every rifle will shoot approx. (X) number pounds of powder per bore size. i.e. if a rum shoots 90 grains per load and an '06 shoots 60 grains per load, the '06 will last 50% longer all else equal. This is basically saying the same thing as Bobbit in a different way......Rich
Old 07-03-2013, 07:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I'll hold true to my word....I guess I was wrong. I have just always heard that...

Thanks for the clarification Rich.
Rich did a nice job of clearing that up, notice he brought known facts from actual use of those cartridges and even improving them not "hearing" them at a gun counter.

Why so concerned all of the sudden about barrel life in this thread when in another your pushing a 6.5 STW, and why do you shoot a 7 STW when you could get much better life and accuracy from a 7 WSM, why all of the concern just over the WSM?

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"