Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Why not Huskemaw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Silver Member

Why not Huskemaw

As I've stated before, I'm relatively new to the long range scene. I'm wondering why I never see the Huskemaw scopes in here? I never see them talked about in the forums section and never see them for sale in the classifieds. Is it because no one has them, or no one wants to sell the ones they have? I just thought it was strange that one of the more popular long range tv shows; the best of the west really promotes them, and also sells them, and there is no mention of them in here.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Silver Member

Re: Why not Huskemaw

Mr Backus does sell them on here. They have a decent reticle as well. For the price range though some people feel that the glass isn't good enough. All personal preference.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

I can't give you a why not just a "why".

For what we have to shell out for quality glass, I'm just not going to gamble my hard earned dollars on an "off brand" that I know little or nothing about which I may or may not ever be able to get warranty or service work done on if needed.

Leupold, Zeiss, IOR, USO, NF will all be around a hundred years from now if my grand kids need to get a scope fixed they inherited from me and in most cases it will be done for free under warranty.

With all that being said the question then is why would you risk those hard earned dollars on an off brand scope?
Old 10-02-2011, 08:26 AM
Platinum Member

There has been several discussions on this forum on the Huskemaw for a few years. I own two of them and really like them. I also own three Nightforce and four Leupold MK4's. I like the Huskemaw better than the Mark 4's , and find they don't give up much if anything to the Nightforces. Long term reliability remains to be seen but so far they have performed flawlessly on ten whitetails and antelope between 400 and 1000 yards. I will put another on my next hunting rifle.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 10-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Silver Member

thanx for the replies. I was just curious about never hearing about them. and of all the pics of your nice hunting rigs, I never saw one mounted on any of them.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:40 AM
Silver Member

Thank you Grayfox !!! I thought I was the only one on here that defends Huskemaw ! I've got 5 of them on various guns and also have some Leopolds. There are a lot of good scopes out there and I choose not to run down any of them, especially the ones I've never used. Hearsay evidence just doesn't stand up well in a court of law and I wish that a lot of the people on here who try to discredit Huskemaw would hold their tongues until they have had a chance to shoot a gun with a properly set up Huskemaw scope. Being able to dial the distance exactly and having a wind hold number right there in front of you really makes that once in a lifetime shot much easier. The glass compares to any top line scope. Yes there is some homework that has to be done to dope wind, temperature, and angle shots, but that must be done with all scopes . It is easier with Huskemaw than with any other system that I've used. The set up of the turret is the most important part and anyone who trys to tell you they can use a generic BC and chronographed velocity are just flat wrong. Huskemaw is completely custom for your bullet and load. No sighter shots needed.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member

Few of us buy many new scopes of any kind. Most of us needing a new scope tend to stick with what we have come to trust. That gives ANY new brand an up-hill climb.