Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Why a high shoulder shot?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-01-2008, 09:37 AM
Re: Why a high shoulder shot?

Hunting season is upon us. Time to have this discussion again.
- -
Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Unread 09-02-2008, 02:22 AM
Silver Member

Have not taken high shoulder shot and certainly no expert on hunting or bullet placement, but do have strong ethics twards wasting little meat. Just purchesed .338 edge shooting 300 smk and thought a shoulder shot was the way to go till I saw this picture. My congrats to the lucky hunter but how much of either shoulder is edible? Coincidently the first large 4 pt mule deer I shot in the neck at 50 yards had allready been shot high sholder. Bullet clipped top of both shoulder blades just missed top of spine and hit dead center both back straps. Tracking hunters arived some 45 minutes later to me allready packing deer up.

Unread 09-02-2008, 04:50 AM
Gold Member

In long range hunting, the bullet will almost always exit a deer, the reason I use a high shoulder shot is, like has been stated, it puts them down, NOW. you have no idea how many times I've saw the deer go bang/flop and once walking to where I thought the deer was, even after carefully marking the location, I get there......nothing looks like it should, and a dead deer laying belly up is alot easier to find than torn up leaves where the deer made its death sprint. Besides, after the bullet slows down a bit due to distance, the damage isn't as great as a point blank close up shot.
So I find it advantageous to give up a lil shoulder meat for a quick recovery.
Born to Hunt, Forced to Work!
Unread 09-02-2008, 04:51 AM
Silver Member

High shoulder shot, .243, DRT.

Last edited by petenz; 09-02-2008 at 05:08 AM.
Unread 09-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Silver Member

I will be trying this out for the 1st time this year, I have been using the traditional aimpoint of bottom 3rd- just behind the shoulder for my whole hunting career, but I am sold on all the propoganda that I have seen on the high shoulder shot. All of the bang- flops I have seen are very appealing. Hopefully I will have something to report when I get back from my Elk hunt in 2 weeks.
Unread 09-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Gold Member

Just read this interesting thread and thought I'd throw my 2 cents in..

I have shot a heap of big game at from 50- 500 yards and in the last couple of years got the long range bug and bought a DE 338 edge.

All of my deer have been in the past with a shot placement low behind the front leg , mainly shooting a 30-06.

Since getting my 338 my first kill was with the same shot placement form 963 yards. Spotting my own shot I saw little to tell me where and if I hit him. So 10 min before dark I didn't know what I had. ... Turns out I hit him through the centre of the lungs but he made 250 yards into a nasty hiding spot where I did not find him for a month !

When my next opportunity came I went high shoulder (610 yards) to both break his front legs out from under him, but also again spotting my own shot have some very noticable reaction from the target to tell me what I had on impact. The leg pic in previous post is of this deer and personally I loved every minute of it ! Thats why I bought the rifle, serious damage at serious range.

I guess another reason I had not seen anyone talk about was from a spotters perspective in being able to determine a good solid hit from a complete miss., as i have shot many deer with precise lung shots and they reacted like I never touched hair ?

With each step in the bush, you are a step closer.
Unread 09-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Platinum Member

I'm sure that I'm not the only one that feels That there is no one best
place to shoot a game animal.

There are many variables that determine where the best place to hit an animal to
achieve the best results.

If your in a very difficult place to retrieve an animal if it travels after the shot then
a neck or high shoulder shot Is what I would use (Also if it was a once in a life time
trophy the shoulder is not as tricky at any range) and meat loss is not the main concern.

If your meat hunting behind the shoulder (Heart/Lung area) is the preferred placement
as long as you can see/track for 3 or 400 yards and if range permits a neck shot is
also a quick kill.

Also sometimes the type of bullet your using dictates shot placement for the best performance with that bullet.

So in my opinion the decision should be determined based on all of these parameters.

And when one makes thier choice they have to live with the outcome. so choose

Just my 2 cents