Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Why a high shoulder shot?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Bronze Member

Why a high shoulder shot?

There has been a lot of posts resently about shot placement and some reference to using a high shoulder shot placement?

I'm hoping to learn something here. I've always tried to put my bullets in the same place I put my broadheads, so why the difference with long range shooting?

Thanks in advance for sharing,

DD
Old 03-06-2008, 03:48 PM
Silver Member

Diesel,

IMO the main reason people like the high shoulder shot is that it puts them down instantly. If done right, that's exactly what it does. Looks good on video too. Personally, I still aim for the same place you do. There may be a better reason that I am not aware of, I'm just a novice at this longrange stuff.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Gold Member

If you bust up the front end, they do not have much to go on.

Last edited by gamedog; 03-30-2008 at 05:13 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member

What referred to as a ďhigh shoulder shotĒ is not just a long range thing. When I was a kid my peers would jump my butt if on a standing deer I did not make a neck shot. I donít remember when I learned that hitting at the base of the neck high in the shoulder was easier then the neck shot and put the animal down just as hard with little waste of meat. I think anyone who has shot a lot of deer and elk has figured out that itís the place to aim given the opportunity. The reason itís such a desirable shot long range is the fact that the animal drops in his tracks and you donít have a crippled animal running around the mountain and itís going to take you an hour to get to him. In fact I think itís the only shot placement that is ethical at long range.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 03-06-2008, 07:02 PM

So is it a larger or smaller overall "hit zone" than the heart/lungs?

Thanks
Old 03-06-2008, 08:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by odsixer View Post
So is it a larger or smaller overall "hit zone" than the heart/lungs?
Thats what I would like to know. Seems like the traditional "behind the shoulder" shot would allow for more shooter error - especially if you happen to miss high. But vertical error would be less common than horizontal at (known) long ranges.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

So, for this high shoulder shot, do you need to use solid bullets to get thru bone, or will something like Berger's work ?