Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Why does this have to be so difficult??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 12:53 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Why does this have to be so difficult??

The STW is a step up from the 7RM, just make sure you have enough room in your magazine. The STW finished length is around .3" longer than the 7RM.

You can't go wrong either way.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 11-26-2011, 01:46 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbailey View Post
Small shank.

Could you give me an idea, or tips on how to head space .001 off the shoulder with FL dies? thank you
I use the redding competion shell holders, makes it so much easier just set your die for full length sizing and use the shell holders. You'll need a head space gauge and calipers as well, I believe hornandy makes some I have the sinclair.

And +1 for the 7 rem mag. I have been trying to decide between this and a 300 ultra. I have come to the conclusion that the 7 rem mag will be better as an intermediate step in learning longrange shooting, less recoil/powder/blast. After this barrel is shot out though I will rebarrel to the 300 Ultra. From what I have gathered the 7 stw is a better performer but barrel life is less, some might say significantly less. As far as the 7 wsm with the long action you might as well go the the 7 RM once you head space it off the shoulder the belt is meaningless
Old 11-26-2011, 08:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbailey View Post
Small shank.

Could you give me an idea, or tips on how to head space .001 off the shoulder with FL dies? thank you
Here is an article I wrote a couple years ago.

Setting up a Full Length die.

Hope this helps,
AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 11-26-2011, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member

You say you have the action. If it still has the factory barrel, consider shooting it as-is in the 7mm Rem Mag and seeing how well it shoots. You might save $ for a while.

I'd also go with the 7mm Rem Mag (if you need to go with a new barrel) due to the high availability of brass and other components. You can always go bigger once you have done this for a while, and can always have a brake added if you wish. It's a great caliber to use for your first long range rifle.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:20 PM
Silver Member

Without reading your post or any replies, because easy is boring.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:26 PM
Silver Member

And to your question. You would like to have a 7mm WSM with a long throat as to not seat your 168-180 VLD below the base of the neck. It isn't difficult at all!! Long magnums are a waist of powder, short magnums can be extremely efficient so long as you are not wasting space by seating them down into the case.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:32 PM
Silver Member

Double post, sorry, connection issue of some sort.