close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Why Do We Hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-25-2004, 09:56 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Why Do We Hunt

On top of this I beleive by hunting, I am providing my family with good substanance. It's either I provide them with good, nutritious, natural elk, or I can go to the store and buy some mystery meat loaded with hormones and antibiotics. In which these animals are penned to live amongst there own feces.

Give me ELK! And some permits too of course.

Ronnie

Unread 06-25-2004, 07:03 PM
Gold Member

Hunting is Pro Active nature conservation. Todays hunters care far more about the environment than do most any other groups of society. We hunt because we know that what we are doing is providing a nessecary part of wild game and environment management, Hunting ensures that game and other speciew will continue to thrive in well managed areas, we prevent the species becoming extinct due to lack of habitat, over population poaching, encroachment of humans in wildlife areas, disease prevention and management, environment management. Income from hunting and related activities generates millions of $ worth of income in many areas, much of which goes towards environmental conservation. Lastly but not least, we as humans are top of the food chain, to hunt is in the very nature of mankind. Game meat tastes good and is a healthy source of food. Hunting in its self gives us a chance to get back close to nature, bieng close to nature is a most enjoyable experience.
Why do i hunt? I owe it to mother nature to do my part to help balance and improve what man kind has messed up since the industial revolution, i take from mother nature, but i always give back more than i take.
Pete
Unread 06-26-2004, 11:43 PM
Bronze Member

i just like to kill $hit lol just kidding
Unread 07-06-2004, 07:51 PM

An excellent book on this topic is this:
The Delights and Dilemmas of Hunting
The Hunting versus Anti-Hunting Debate

by Forrest Wood, Jr.

I have an autographed copy of the book.
Unread 07-06-2004, 08:50 PM

If we have to explain it, they won't understand
Unread 07-06-2004, 09:45 PM
Bronze Member

Why do we hunt? I think it's because it's hardwired into us (some of us), like a lab chasing a stick or a Brittany pup pointing anything that moves. When early man got past the gathering stage and started hunting for food, it became a very important activity. It remained a source of food and eventually became a social event, even after men learned to garden and raise animals for food.

The fact that it's great fun doesn't hurt, either.
Unread 07-06-2004, 10:15 PM
Bronze Member

I hunt because I can hunt.

These past few years, I have taken to hunting predators. In Arizona, I can hunt coyotes every day and can bag lots of bobcats and some cougars.

To hunt herbivors, it seems, somehow, easy. To see them is to kill them. Predators, on the other hand, require a bit more work and I find it very satisfying.

I call them close and bag them with a .221 Fireball caliber CZ Model 527 rifle (22-inch barrel). I back that up with a Glock M20 10mm (in case of cougars).

By hunting and killing predators, I provide a higher likelyhood for the deer and antelope fawn populations to make it to breeding age.

Just my thoughts....