Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Why are all Remingtons Single Shots?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2003, 08:50 PM
Gold Member

Why are all Remingtons Single Shots?

Why does Remington put so much freebore in thier chambers?

If I load so that the bullet is 0.005 off the lands, the loaded round does not fit in the magazine.

What is up with this?

I sort of understood with the 7mm RUM. It is based on a really long case and that may make it hard to fit into the magazine.

But the 7mm SAUM makes no sense.

The 7mm SAUM should have been based on a long action Rem 700. Then maybe I could get a cartridge with a bullet 0.005 off the lands into the magazine.

Someone please explain to me why there is so much freebore in these chambers ...

Doug

PS. My 25-06 works great 0.005 off the lands and they fit into the magazine.
Old 03-25-2003, 09:53 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Why are all Remingtons Single Shots?

I have the 300RUM, and I make the OAL so that it is a hair shorter than the magazine. It is still way far from the lands, like 3/10 of an inch. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2003, 07:37 AM
Silver Member

Doug, If you call Rem. they'll tell you, we make the chambers to a SAAMI spec. which I guess is like the standard size for a certain chamber that was set by SAAMI. The reason you can get your 25-06 .005" off the lands and still fit in your mag.is because the magazine is made for a myriad of cartridges, some of which are longer than a 25-06. I got the same problem when shooting 168MK in my 308,.010" off the lands makes for a length of 2.910" but I use benchrest followers on all my varmint rifles, I chose to shoot single shot. With the 7saum, since it's oal makes it a short action cartridge they put it in a 'short action'. You might still get excellent accuracy being off the lands a bit, my 6mm Rem. gets consistantly under 3/8" being .050" off the lands. Answer to your last question is they don't want you to blow yourself up in case you put the bullet to close to the lands, it's called lawyer-proofing of America. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Jay P.S. You should see the freebore on Ruger rifles, WOW.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:26 PM
Gold Member

Smoak, does it shoot well with the bullets seated 3/10 from the lands?

I have never been able to get anything that had to jump that far to shoot very good.

Maybe I should try a reverse ladder test with seating depth.

Keep seating them incrementally deeper until they shoot good groups.

Anyone tried this?

Doug
Old 03-27-2003, 09:03 PM
Gold Member

Some guns do shoot ok w/ a lot of jump, though I don't think all bullets do. My .308 has a 1-12" twist, so in theory it should shoot 155gr bullets fine (maybe not as well as a Palma gun 1-13 or HBR 1-14") but reality is a different story so far. 168 and 175gr SMKs and 185gr VLDs don't seem to care a lick if they are seated to the lands (can *almost* reach w/ the 168), or to 2.810" or so, which, w/ a 175gr SMK, constitutes a 0.155" jump. They still go where they are pointed. Now just pointing them consistently is the next challenge [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Monte
Old 03-27-2003, 09:03 PM
Silver Member

When I load test, I seat them firmly into the lands. Run through the ladder method and pick my load that works best.

I then keep this charge and start seating them deeper into the case until I find the seating depth that gives me the best group with that load.
Old 03-31-2003, 05:56 PM
Gold Member

I'll have to try that.

So far I keep seating the bullets forward toward the lands until I get the best group.

Never thought of starting into the lands and working back shorter.

Do you find that you can go back far enough to fit them in the magazine well?

I don't really like my bullets seated way down into the case.

Personally, I feel all the new short mags need to be long actions.

I feel that bullets should be seated such that the base of the bullet is right at the base of the neck. This is optimal.

When seated this way, the bullets are sticking way out of the case and don't fit in short action magazines or barely work through the short actions.

Put them in a long action and everything is fine.

May have to take my new Rem 700 7mm SAUM and make a 223/243 WSSM out of it. I think they need a magmum bolt face.

The 223/243 WSSM will probably be dimmensionally correct with the Rem 700 short actions and magazines.

Doug