Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Who's using the 30-06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Re: Who's using the 30-06

Come on...there's gotta be some more '06 users out there with stories to tell.

Unread 10-20-2008, 10:48 PM
Silver Member

Shot my first Elk and my second, third, and fourth deer (1st was with a bow) with a 3006 named Bertha. As the oldest son, Bertha is now mine. Before she was mine, she was my fathers, before that she was his fathers, before that she was his fathers' fathers, and according to family tradition she belonged to the US army before that (as my great grandfathers' service rifle in WWI). Bertha is a M1917 Enfield from the Eddystone Plant. My Grandfather cut off the front and rear sights, recrowned the barrel, added a scope mount, and put it in an aftermarket stock. My father had her glass bedded and put in a custom trigger. I put a Leupold VXIII and better rings on her, and Tubbs FF'd the bore. She is now a solid 1 moa rifle.

My wife killed her first, second, and third elk with Bertha as well as her second, third, and fourth deer, and several antelope. We are shooting 180 gr Accubonds with good results on elk and deer. On several occasions they have been able to go through one shoulder, through the chest cavity (lungs), and stop at the offside shoulder. So far the Accubonds from Bertha have not made it through both shoulders of an elk (wasn't necessary).
Unread 10-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member

I love my 30.06 and will never part with it. It's got a 22" fluted PacNor SS on it. Rem 700 LH DM. The factory wood stock has been painted and is pillar bedded.

I use this rifle for most all of my baited bear hunts and my nonbaited hunts in BC. I've killed quite a few black bears with it now from 8 yards to 200 yards. I'm very comfortable with it to 400 yards.

I've also killed 3 or 4 mule deer with it and I cannot remember how many whitetails in MO, AL, SC, KS, and KY.

Sure it's not an ideal LRH rig, but lets face it, we don't always have 500+ yard shots on game. I can't imagine being without it.
Derek M.
Unread 10-21-2008, 10:52 PM
Silver Member

I bought mine, a 700 BDL, for a 1996 bear hunt. I got it second hand from Michi-Gun & Tackle in St. Clair Shores, Michigan. The stock has "Huff Creek Mine Safety Award 1995" laser etched on the stock. Apparently, the previous owner received it for his safety record. He wasn't a hunter, so he traded it in on some fishing gear. I walked into the shop the next day and walked out with a new rifle. It has killed more paper than anything, and it's on its second barrel. However, it has elevated itself to heirloom status by virtue of being a 1/2 MOA rifle. 165 grain Partitions make cloverleafs if I do my part.
Unread 10-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Bronze Member

I killed my first elk last week (6x6) in Colorado using my Winchester Model 70 FW 30-06. It has a 22" inch barrel, Leupold VXII 3-9x50, and I was using a handload 180 gr Accubond. I wouldn't trade or sell my rifle for anything.
Unread 10-23-2008, 03:40 PM
Silver Member

I took my first and second deer with a 30-06. It was an encore using 150gr factory Remington corelokts. The doe dropped right there, and the buck ran about 40 yards uphill before he flopped over. It wasnít more than 100 yards, but itís a 30-06 hunting story.

Iíve been in love with my new savage 30-06 since I got it and recently took it on a bear hunt in Canada. Unfortunately I didnít even see a bear, but thatís part of hunting. Itís a special ordered 110FP, just a heavy barreled 30-06 and all I did was switch out the stocks.

I wrote a review of the rifle here.

110FP 30-06 range report & bullet advice needed. *pics*

There really is something about hunting & shooting with a 30-06.
Unread 10-23-2008, 08:41 PM
Silver Member

My last elk trip out west 2 years ago we had 5 guys in camp. 1-300RUM, 1-338 Win Mag, and 3-3006s. Prior to the trip we 06 guys were lectured at length about how difficult is to kill an elk and that we are hunting with the bare minimum cartridge.
I recieved the weekly emails with photos of milk jugs being shot at 600 yards etc with the 338 magnum and 300 RUM. During the first morning of the hunt one hunter proceeded to shoot 3 shots at a stationary 5x5 at 190yds with the 338 without a hit. Finally the bull started running and he then missed a 4th shot. Talk about an miserable hunting partner the rest of the week.
The next morning the 06 trio, me included, walked up the hill 300yds out of camp to a park just in time to have 6 elk run across the field at approx 220 yards. We took 3 elk with 5 hits. These were the only elk taken that week. 3 of the 5 shots were pass thrus and the two recovered bullets broke both front shoulders.